TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Whats your opinion on what Tesla is doing for the country.

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by danny, Aug 16, 2006.

1. danny

danny Administrator

I personally think what tesla is doing is so important to the country and the world as a whole. Here is a list why:
    1. No more oil money going to mid-east therefore they will have to modernize in order to stay rich(I'm talking about the princes and leaders over there)
    2. Less influence to oil industry.
    3. Less money to fund terrorist groups.
    4. Less pollution in cities and for the world.
    5. Slow down global warming.
    6. Cheaper energy

Think about all the wasted energy in a Internal combustion car that can be used for other things now.
    If tesla takes off, and thats up to us, a lot of huge problems will be helped imho.
    What do you think?

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Mainecoon Butler

Tesla Motors is not big enough to change the things all by it self. And it wont be big enough for that for quite some years to come.
    But, if properly managed, it can (and I very much hope it will) show the world that it could be done. That electric cars are viable option and that there is a big market for it. Bigger companies will then jump into the bussines and help change the oil dependency.

I forsee that in 10years time, current gasoline and diesel cars will be frowned upon as very oldfashioned, unclean and unelegant.

3. danny

danny Administrator

well i hope greenspeed is right and that it happens quickly
    i think also that when tesla starts getting bigger other countries around the world will see that we aren't driving huge gas guzzling suv and that we actually care about the environment.

4. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Member

Greenspeed, you are absolutely right. But how can we convince my giant-truck driving neighbors to buy a Tesla?
    Vern

5. danny

danny Administrator

put a brick in front of his car, one that is so low he cant see it or put your bike in front then sue him for running it over ;D
    or just put the brick through his car or the bike through his windshiled :Dl
    lol

6. danny

danny Administrator

genius
    your a god amoungst men greenspeed

7. jadresak

jadresak Member

My opinion is that the Tesla actually is bad for the environment. I mean, it still uses electricity which is made from coal which is a worse pollutant than gasoline. Not to mention that people will drive the car too fast which would then create more pollution because it will use up its battery faster. And it will also cause more accidents because people will drive it too fast and no one will be able to actually hear the car go by...there'll be lots of Tesla crashes from stupid drivers. And the decrease in dependence on oil will increase our dependence on the Appalacian coal mines and also on the wind. Can you imagine being dependent on people from West Virginia? And what if, what if some day the wind just stops blowing? Our entire world will be destroyed!!! Oh the humanity!

8. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Member

I am not sure you were serious with your comments, but just in case you were:  I lived in Huntington, WV, for 5 years, and I know what you mean about West Virginians.  But the most coal is far away from there-- in Wyoming, for example. 

Mr. Jadresak, any time you spend reading the White Paper, at www.teslamotors.com, or statements by Martin Eberhard, like the one at http://www.teslamotors.com/blog1/ , which includes the text below, will immeasurely improve your information base: 

"The neat thing about electricity is that pretty much any burnable fuel can be converted to electricity efficiently.  Sure, there are quite a few inefficient old power plants from the ‘50s still running, but modern, readily-available technology means that even coal can be gasified and burnt cleanly and very efficiently in a combined cycle plant.  This is nice to know, considering that we are sitting on an enormous reserve of coal.  If there ever was an OCEC (Organization of Coal Exporting Countries), we’d be Saudi Arabia, so to speak.  General Electric makes an advanced, combined-cycle natural gas generator called the H-System Generator that measures in at 60% efficiency ... "

9. danny

danny Administrator

hmmmm
    jadresak
    you are no longer a genius

10. asdar

asdar Member

I think he was speaking tongue in cheek, but who knows.

I don't think this car or even Tesla will change the world alone, but what I think they've done is change thousands, and perhaps millions of individuals perception of the electric car.

If you mention electric around anyone not intimately familiar, and even some of those, you get this glassy eyed look because they think of boxy, slow, maintenance heavy sacrifice cars. When people, even motor heads see this car they go "ooh, I want that." When they hear that it's electric, they immediately think slow but then see the 0-60 acceleration and think again.

I think Tesla has fundamentally changed U.S. perception of electric cars from piles of crap to overly expensive, but desirable cars.

I'm skeptical that Tesla can ramp up to changing the world single handedly. I imagine big-auto will kick it in gear and come out with something better than Tesla can possibly produce. Big-auto has the money to make molds and production lines and the experience to make parts and pieces that will last and be cheaply mass produced. Tesla will most likely be the company that forces their hand at least.

11. DDB

DDB Member

Today's 5th anniversary of 9-11 probably had most of us recalling our thoughts and actions back on that milestone of a morning. But most of my thoghts now revolve around how to rid ourselves of our "addiction to oil," whcih I foresee as a serious problem for our country...one no politician, oil company or auto manufacturer is willing to change because they stand to lose the monopoly of the status quo.

I bought a Passat TDI to run biodiesel on it, and will buy the next viable and better option available that aids in weening our country off of the oil. It is not a money saver for me, but I feel better driving around knowing I'm sending out a message that states I'm sick of the status quo. I hope Telsa realizes that many of us little folks out here are watching and waiting...literally counting the days till we have a solution on the road. My hope is that Telsa can do 80% of what it claims...then lookout OPEC. Keep up the good work, it's one way to "save the world."