Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats your range? S75!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hit 7k miles on my refreshed Tesla S75 and I'm getting "238 rated miles @100%". I was getting 249 miles brand new 3 months ago @100%. Is this normal? 11 miles lost in 3 months doesn't sound right to me, I've heard of 3-5 miles lost but never over that.

Interesting. I have a 2 month old 70 and was contemplating the $3000 upgrade to 75. After 2 months, my 100% went from 233 to 230 and I've only range-charged 4 times. I keep the battery between 60-70% most of the time for my 60 mile roundtrip for work. I only go 90-100% for road trips. You and I have the "same" battery ... do you charge to 100% often? What's your usual daily charge%?

Interesting. I have a 2 month old 70 and was contemplating the $3000 upgrade to 75. After 2 months, my 100% went from 233 to 230 and I've only range-charged 4 times. I keep the battery between 60-70% most of the time for my 60 mile roundtrip for work. I only go 90-100% for road trips. You and I have the "same" battery ... do you charge to 100% often? What's your usual daily charge%?
I maybe do the range charge once a month, so three times so far. I usually keep my charge rate to about 70% for daily use. I think 11 mile loss so far is pretty bad... I might take my car in so Tesla can check it out. Have you balanced your battery pack yet?

I maybe do the range charge once a month, so three times so far. I usually keep my charge rate to about 70% for daily use. I think 11 mile loss so far is pretty bad... I might take my car in so Tesla can check it out. Have you balanced your battery pack yet?

11 miles seems a bit high, but I would hold off for a The range estimator is not that accurate and it bounces around quite a bit. You have to look at your average over a couple of months. I had a 12km drop right out of the gate and other than a random 5 km daily variation it's stayed pretty much the same for the last 45,000 km.

11 miles seems a bit high, but I would hold off for a The range estimator is not that accurate and it bounces around quite a bit. You have to look at your average over a couple of months. I had a 12km drop right out of the gate and other than a random 5 km daily variation it's stayed pretty much the same for the last 45,000 km.
hmm intersting! So I should worry about it to much? I just want to know something isn't wrong with my battery. lol

I just hit 7k miles on my refreshed Tesla S75 and I'm getting "238 rated miles @100%". I was getting 249 miles brand new 3 months ago @100%. Is this normal? 11 miles lost in 3 months doesn't sound right to me, I've heard of 3-5 miles lost but never over that.
Is it getting colder where you live?
Also, I think the rated range varies a bit based on your driving history. I could be wrong about that though...

hmm intersting! So I should worry about it to much? I just want to know something isn't wrong with my battery. lol

I wouldn't worry yet. Give it a month or two and see what happens. The pattern seems to be that most vehicles lose some range in the first few thousand miles and then stabilize. You may well get some of the range back after you do an (almost) full discharge to full charge cycle. In addition to balancing, apparently this process also resets the range estimator.

Last edited:

Hmmmm

I have a 75kwh physical battery which is software limited to 70kwh. When I charge to 100% I am getting a rated charge of 239 miles. 100% on this software limited battery equals 93% of a 100 percent 75kwh battery. The highest I have ever seen is 240 miles. If I am getting a mile more than your non limited 75 kwh battery, I would certainly ask Tesla about that because Tesla says a 75kwh battery should get 259 miles of rated range at 100% (all wheel drive). I am assuming you have all wheel drive too. If not, that would make a difference.

Hmmmm

I have a 75kwh physical battery which is software limited to 70kwh. When I charge to 100% I am getting a rated charge of 239 miles. 100% on this software limited battery equals 93% of a 100 percent 75kwh battery. The highest I have ever seen is 240 miles. If I am getting a mile more than your non limited 75 kwh battery, I would certainly ask Tesla about that because Tesla says a 75kwh battery should get 259 miles of rated range at 100% (all wheel drive). I am assuming you have all wheel drive too. If not, that would make a difference.
I have the RWD model. I called Tesla and they fed my bull *sugar* saying it depends on how I drive. It's a rated milliege and does not change depending on the driver. I should be getting 249 miles on the RWD S75 model, but I'm usually around 239 and 240 if I'm lucky. I just didn't expect to pay 3k for 15 miles and not get the full 15 miles. I got 5 miles for 3k!

I have a 2016 S75 RWD. I rarely range charge, but noticed this week that 100% is 233 miles; new, I got 237 miles and didn't think anything of it. Now, reviewing the website, I realize that I should be getting closer to 249. I have 19" wheels.

I can understand the battery degradation from 236 to 233 miles: I've put 25,543 miles on the car in 9 months. However, this range is more in line with an S70, not an S75.

I've been in contact with Tesla, but have not gotten a final answer. Any ideas?

You are correct! I guess that is where my miles are going. Thank you for pointing that out. I should be good then!
Rated miles has nothing to do with range and nothing to do with your tire size. That being said, your numbers of 5 % rated miles loss is perfectly normal as long as it stabilizes around that number. Many people, including me, have seen very similar type numbers. It should change very slowly from there.

My 75 is 9 months old and has lost 4 km of rated range. 11 miles does sound high in comparison.

My 6 month old S60 RWD would range charge to 218 miles. Yesterday, I paid to unlock the 75 battery capacity and range charged it for a trip today. Last night it charged (at home) to 242 miles and today it supercharged to 242 from 20%.
Since Tesla's sales page shows 259 miles for a S75 RWD, my $7K for 24 miles doesn't make any cents. Am I missing something (other than 7K)?
I wonder if anyone has gotten Tesla to revert an owners car back to prior configuration and refund the sale?

My S75 is all over the map at any percent charge. I get 241 to 247 at 100%. Not dropping as 247 was the last. At 70% charge it charges in a range of 169 to 172. 218 to 222 at 90%. I don't worry about it as there are several factors that can affect range calculations, and when I repeat trips I usually wind up with the same residule.

I have the RWD model. I called Tesla and they fed my bull *sugar* saying it depends on how I drive. It's a rated milliege and does not change depending on the driver. I should be getting 249 miles on the RWD S75 model, but I'm usually around 239 and 240 if I'm lucky. I just didn't expect to pay 3k for 15 miles and not get the full 15 miles. I got 5 miles for 3k!

I have a 70 also and the insult to injury is they still want full price while the folks with the 60 just got a nice price drop.

I'm at around seven or eight hundred miles and I've already lost five miles. Not to mention the first couple minutes of driving several miles just disappear. :(

So I remember some of you from our delivery "waiting group" :D

I just turned in my S70D (locked 75D) with 17000 miles, and here's what happened:

On delivery: I had 236 miles on a full charge. Sometimes 235. 90% was 212.
~4-5 months into ownership: Suddenly started seeing my 90% drop to 210 and then 209. Confirmed that my 100% was affected too: Down to 232 or so.
Towards end of ownership: Was seeing 229 at 100%, 207-208 at 90%

Overall I'm not as unhappy about the degradation than I am about how the car didn't really start out at the EPA rated range for a 70D which I believe was supposed to be 240 or so. Come on, it's a locked battery, trim it to EPA rating!

FWIW, my new 100D seems to have made up for it. EPA rated for 335, but at delivery I was seeing at around 344 and it was still not charged to 100% (though nearly).