TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Whats your range? S75!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Jason Shelton, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

I just hit 7k miles on my refreshed Tesla S75 and I'm getting "238 rated miles @100%". I was getting 249 miles brand new 3 months ago @100%. Is this normal? 11 miles lost in 3 months doesn't sound right to me, I've heard of 3-5 miles lost but never over that.

2. rdr1rx

rdr1rx Member

Interesting. I have a 2 month old 70 and was contemplating the $3000 upgrade to 75. After 2 months, my 100% went from 233 to 230 and I've only range-charged 4 times. I keep the battery between 60-70% most of the time for my 60 mile roundtrip for work. I only go 90-100% for road trips. You and I have the "same" battery ... do you charge to 100% often? What's your usual daily charge%?

3. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

I maybe do the range charge once a month, so three times so far. I usually keep my charge rate to about 70% for daily use. I think 11 mile loss so far is pretty bad... I might take my car in so Tesla can check it out. Have you balanced your battery pack yet?

4. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

11 miles seems a bit high, but I would hold off for a The range estimator is not that accurate and it bounces around quite a bit. You have to look at your average over a couple of months. I had a 12km drop right out of the gate and other than a random 5 km daily variation it's stayed pretty much the same for the last 45,000 km.

5. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

hmm intersting! So I should worry about it to much? I just want to know something isn't wrong with my battery. lol

6. rdr1rx

rdr1rx Member

If you mean balancing the cells by super-slow charging over two days at 110v to 100% from 0-5%, I have not. Seems pointless to me from a time/wait perspective. If I'm not mistaken, aren't the cells balanced anyway when charging >90% regardless of voltage and initial SOC%?

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Is it getting colder where you live?
    Also, I think the rated range varies a bit based on your driving history. I could be wrong about that though...

8. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

#8 sandpiper, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    I wouldn't worry yet. Give it a month or two and see what happens. The pattern seems to be that most vehicles lose some range in the first few thousand miles and then stabilize. You may well get some of the range back after you do an (almost) full discharge to full charge cycle. In addition to balancing, apparently this process also resets the range estimator.

9. Three60guy

Three60guy Member

Hmmmm

I have a 75kwh physical battery which is software limited to 70kwh. When I charge to 100% I am getting a rated charge of 239 miles. 100% on this software limited battery equals 93% of a 100 percent 75kwh battery. The highest I have ever seen is 240 miles. If I am getting a mile more than your non limited 75 kwh battery, I would certainly ask Tesla about that because Tesla says a 75kwh battery should get 259 miles of rated range at 100% (all wheel drive). I am assuming you have all wheel drive too. If not, that would make a difference.

10. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

I have the RWD model. I called Tesla and they fed my bull *sugar* saying it depends on how I drive. It's a rated milliege and does not change depending on the driver. I should be getting 249 miles on the RWD S75 model, but I'm usually around 239 and 240 if I'm lucky. I just didn't expect to pay 3k for 15 miles and not get the full 15 miles. I got 5 miles for 3k!

11. Rahul

Rahul Member

How long were you getting 249 miles for? The website's stated range is about 249 miles but you have 21" rims. I thought those cause a 3% range hit. So that would take you down to ~241 miles.

• Like x 1
  12. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

You are correct! I guess that is where my miles are going. Thank you for pointing that out. I should be good then!