Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats your range? S75!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem kinda low.. What are you getting @ 90%?

Not sure about 90% charge. I never charge to a specific level below 100%. I'll look into it.

I've gone a few rounds with Tesla techs with my service rep acting as middleman. Essentially they say nothing is wrong with the battery. I will ask them to clarify over the next few weeks what they mean by that.

I'm convinced that the rated miles is dependent on driving style.

I have a 75, delivered 10/16. We were charging to 80% and getting 200. After 2 months, eventually started charging to 90% and was getting 212. We were learning to drive the car, and was probably getting 340kw/mi. My wife drives it daily, and she was driving it at 360kw/mi, while i was averaging 315, but she drove it more.. and the 90% dropped to 204 one day.

So I taught her how to drive more energy efficiently, and we are both averaging under 300 kw/mi these days. the 90% has been 216, since she figured it out. that works out to 240 max. lifetime of the car is now 315 kw/mi. i will charge to 100% next friday, as i am taking a trip.. .we'll see what i get. I've charged it to 100% maybe 4 times, and i want to say the last 2 times were definitely not 249. probably 243.

My 6 month old S60 RWD would range charge to 218 miles. Yesterday, I paid to unlock the 75 battery capacity and range charged it for a trip today. Last night it charged (at home) to 242 miles and today it supercharged to 242 from 20%.
Since Tesla's sales page shows 259 miles for a S75 RWD, my $7K for 24 miles doesn't make any cents. Am I missing something (other than 7K)?
I wonder if anyone has gotten Tesla to revert an owners car back to prior configuration and refund the sale?
An S 60 RWD should 100% charge to 210 and an S 75 RWD should 100% charge to 249 per the Tesla site.

An S 60 RWD should 100% charge to 210 and an S 75 RWD should 100% charge to 249 per the Tesla site.

I've charged to 100% three times for a current road trip; first and second times it said 249 miles; today it was 247 miles. Right around what the car was rated at. If only the actual was that I'd be thrilled - gotta drive fairly slow or in stop and go to get that mileage.

I'm convinced that the rated miles is dependent on driving style.

I have a 75, delivered 10/16. We were charging to 80% and getting 200. After 2 months, eventually started charging to 90% and was getting 212. We were learning to drive the car, and was probably getting 340kw/mi. My wife drives it daily, and she was driving it at 360kw/mi, while i was averaging 315, but she drove it more.. and the 90% dropped to 204 one day.

So I taught her how to drive more energy efficiently, and we are both averaging under 300 kw/mi these days. the 90% has been 216, since she figured it out. that works out to 240 max. lifetime of the car is now 315 kw/mi. i will charge to 100% next friday, as i am taking a trip.. .we'll see what i get. I've charged it to 100% maybe 4 times, and i want to say the last 2 times were definitely not 249. probably 243.
over the weekend, my 90% went up to 218. this last month we've been driving at 290 wh/mi
it's a RWD btw, 249 rated.

My 6 month old S60 RWD would range charge to 218 miles. Yesterday, I paid to unlock the 75 battery capacity and range charged it for a trip today. Last night it charged (at home) to 242 miles and today it supercharged to 242 from 20%.
Since Tesla's sales page shows 259 miles for a S75 RWD, my $7K for 24 miles doesn't make any cents. Am I missing something (other than 7K)?
I wonder if anyone has gotten Tesla to revert an owners car back to prior configuration and refund the sale?

Tesla's site shows 249 for S75. 259 is for S75D.

So I remember some of you from our delivery "waiting group" :D

I just turned in my S70D (locked 75D) with 17000 miles, and here's what happened:

On delivery: I had 236 miles on a full charge. Sometimes 235. 90% was 212.
~4-5 months into ownership: Suddenly started seeing my 90% drop to 210 and then 209. Confirmed that my 100% was affected too: Down to 232 or so.
Towards end of ownership: Was seeing 229 at 100%, 207-208 at 90%

Overall I'm not as unhappy about the degradation than I am about how the car didn't really start out at the EPA rated range for a 70D which I believe was supposed to be 240 or so. Come on, it's a locked battery, trim it to EPA rating!

FWIW, my new 100D seems to have made up for it. EPA rated for 335, but at delivery I was seeing at around 344 and it was still not charged to 100% (though nearly).
EPA rated range is not determined by the range estimator in the Tesla computer system, but rather by actual driving tests in controlled conditions. It's been said many times before - the range estimator is NOT a good estimator of battery degradation.

I really think people need to just use percentage indicator (just like a fuel gauge would show you) and trust that the range algorithm will have a tough time estimating the kWh left in the battery because it really is a tough problem to solve. Best way to figure out your degradation is simply to drive from 100% to 0% without climate control on and in moderate temps and record the kWh used.

Probably I am obsessed but my 90% was originally 221/222.. around 4k miles it went down to 217 and now at 11k miles it's 214/213.. haven't tried charging to 100% in a while but fretting over 'rapid' degradation. Should I contact SC to look at logs?
MS75, Sept 2016

Probably I am obsessed but my 90% was originally 221/222.. around 4k miles it went down to 217 and now at 11k miles it's 214/213.. haven't tried charging to 100% in a while but fretting over 'rapid' degradation. Should I contact SC to look at logs?
MS75, Sept 2016
You should see the degradation slow down from here. Usually you get a sizable chunk, 2-4%, of rated range degradation in the first 10-20k miles.

In addition, if you never do a range charge the algorithm that estimates range has less to work with and becomes less accurate. This error becomes compounded if you keep your charge percentage in a narrow band, i.e. between 60% and 90%, most of the time.

My advice is to just keep your charge indicator on percentage and forget about it.

Our EV culture has transitioned from range anxiety to battery degradation anxiety. It's most likely that you don't actually have significant degradation, just algorithm variance. True degradation is very hard to measure scientifically. This widely reported 2-4% initial degradation may be just a consistent response of the algorithm and have nothing to do with the actual battery. It's just so hard to know without taking the battery out of the car and testing in a lab, as there are so many variables.

I would only become concerned if you see rated range drop a larger amount, like >5%, or if your rated range in general isn't near many of the degradation curves (usually a logarithmic curve) you can search for on the internet. If you see significant variance from that you may have a bad module.

Tesla battery data shows path to over 500,000 miles on a single pack