Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your rated range again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting 476km at 100%

Model 3 LR RWD

Built May 2018
42,000 km odometer

Usual 80% charge gets me around 383km most days. Been like this as early as I can remember.
(Extrapolates to 482km at 100%)

Supercharged to 80-90% a handful of times in early ownership.
Otherwise only charge at home overnight with 32A, up to 80%.
Charged to 100% after running battery down to 7%, thinking it would recalibrate. It didn't.

Specs on your car? 18s or 19s? My car is about the same build date and current TeslaFi estimates 100% at 500 +/- 8km depending on the temperature.

From another thread. Check your VIN vs these two service bulletins. May affect range if certain cells have disconnected from the main pack.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154513-9999.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: puzz1ed and pcons
Specs on your car? 18s or 19s? My car is about the same build date and current TeslaFi estimates 100% at 500 +/- 8km depending on the temperature.

From another thread. Check your VIN vs these two service bulletins. May affect range if certain cells have disconnected from the main pack.

Hmmmmm.....I'm pretty sure my build date was Aug 22/18, so within the window listed here....but also I've been in the service centre a few times so you would think if I was affected that they would have already flagged my vin? It says that there is a vin/bulletin tracker or that my customer vehicle profile would call this out....so I assume since my 'my tesla' account lists nothing about this I shouldn't be concerned...wondering if I should shoot this over to my service guy anyway for his input.

Jack, how do you find these things? Do you just lurk on the nhtsa website looking for bulletins? :p

Hmmmmm.....I'm pretty sure my build date was Aug 22/18, so within the window listed here....but also I've been in the service centre a few times so you would think if I was affected that they would have already flagged my vin? It says that there is a vin/bulletin tracker or that my customer vehicle profile would call this out....so I assume since my 'my tesla' account lists nothing about this I shouldn't be concerned...wondering if I should shoot this over to my service guy anyway for his input.

Jack, how do you find these things? Do you just lurk on the nhtsa website looking for bulletins? :p

It was posted in the Model 3 Forum, just passing along the possible issues to anyone affected. I think my car had this done, they kept it for four days when I went in for the rear brake clip clicking. That 100D loaner was fun :D

EDIT: Found the invoice (unrelated to HV Battery):
upload_2019-10-24_8-59-17.png

• Informative
Reactions: PearlShark

I have the 18’s with aero covers on. Completely stock vehicle.

Checked via Tesla VIN checker website and nothing came up. Made an appointment to address the issue at the Service Centre.
I hope there is something tangible that can be done. I really love this car.

Also, looking forward to the latest range/power increase that was announced.

I have the 18’s with aero covers on. Completely stock vehicle.

Checked via Tesla VIN checker website and nothing came up. Made an appointment to address the issue at the Service Centre.
I hope there is something tangible that can be done. I really love this car.

Also, looking forward to the latest range/power increase that was announced.
If you did the vin checker and nothing came up, what would a service appointment accomplish? If your vin was affected it would show there.

Also, what range/power increase are you referring to? They did a bump in power months ago, but is there another one more recent?

If you did the vin checker and nothing came up, what would a service appointment accomplish? If your vin was affected it would show there.

Also, what range/power increase are you referring to? They did a bump in power months ago, but is there another one more recent?
There are articles suggesting Tesla plans another OTA power bump (and the range bump to the existing SR+ cars):
Tesla plans to increase vehicle power, range, and charging through new software update - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
There are articles suggesting Tesla plans another OTA power bump (and the range bump to the existing SR+ cars):
Tesla plans to increase vehicle power, range, and charging through new software update - Electrek
That's pretty cool. It would be the second power bump in a little over a year. Though I'd gladly pay a few $k for a power bump to unlock performance mode on my AWD :)

On the 'range bump', I'm calling a bit of snake oil on this one. Many of us are currently showing a 100% range (long range battery) of ~ 480 km...so getting 'back' 15 miles and showing 500 km again doesn't feel so great....but I'll be happy again with more power! :D

upload_2019-10-24_16-54-50.png

On the 'range bump', I'm calling a bit of snake oil on this one. Many of us are currently showing a 100% range (long range battery) of ~ 480 km...so getting 'back' 15 miles and showing 500 km again doesn't feel so great....but I'll be happy again with more power! :D
My understanding is the range bump is only for SR and SR+ much like the LR RWD got a "range bump" a while back.

My understanding is the range bump is only for SR and SR+ much like the LR RWD got a "range bump" a while back.
Right....I initially thought that before clicking on the article you linked, but then I read it so fast I missed that the quote from Elon was the same one from the RWD range bump, but now I see you're right. Either way, the range to me is just playing with the 'default efficiency' they use for calculations from pack capacity. More power is real at every push of the pedal, and I never use the whole battery between charges anyway so I'm happier with more power :)

That's pretty cool. It would be the second power bump in a little over a year. Though I'd gladly pay a few $k for a power bump to unlock performance mode on my AWD :)

View attachment 469642

You’re getting 480km on a full charge with LR RWD?
I’m getting around 476km and thought that was low compared to the official numbers. It also seems to be at the very low end of the bell curve in the Battery Compare app.

Just went to SC to inquire as our build is in the same range. SC is aware there is/might be an issue & so far not seen any "specific" service bulletins. However when they looked up our TM 3 via vin #, there were 2 items that were listed. One was the change of charge port from last winter which we had not "pushed" as we winter our car in a garage & handout seen the issue. We are scheduled to change that this week.
2 questions then. Is there a www where we can all access the data on our vehicles via vin # which would show the Tesla data like service alerts?
Is there a www where by vin #we can assess our vehicle's likelihood of being included in the battery pack group which had the 5-7 % loss of range in July'19 or so? Many thanks again.

Just went to SC to inquire as our build is in the same range. SC is aware there is/might be an issue & so far not seen any "specific" service bulletins. However when they looked up our TM 3 via vin #, there were 2 items that were listed. One was the change of charge port from last winter which we had not "pushed" as we winter our car in a garage & handout seen the issue. We are scheduled to change that this week.
2 questions then. Is there a www where we can all access the data on our vehicles via vin # which would show the Tesla data like service alerts?
Is there a www where by vin #we can assess our vehicle's likelihood of being included in the battery pack group which had the 5-7 % loss of range in July'19 or so? Many thanks again.

I checked here (from google search):
VIN Recall Search | Tesla Service

Nothing came up for mine, but I fall within the window listed for the battery modules unplugged bulletin. Not sure how thorough that search is. Does your VIN show anything there? That’s a good way to check if this actually works, since you say that Tesla was able to see bulletins for your car.

Also, I feel it is important to check into issues that don’t come up, because how else would these service bulletins be found in the first place.

Model 3 AWD delivery Oct 2018. Other than the first week I got rated range > 490km, I have been seeing consistent 480km plus minus since the second week. I once checked with Tesla in winter; they said it's normal because of the environmental temperature. Now it's in summer, I charged up to 100% and got 483km this morning.

What's yours?

For the record, on my September’s road trip, I did 3 times of 100% super charging. All showed 471km.

Lost another 12km in three months!

For the record, on my September’s road trip, I did 3 times of 100% super charging. All showed 471km.

Lost another 12km in three months!

Are you and everyone else commenting taking into consideration that we now have colder weather and it is known to effect the range. This behaviour is perfectly normal, you should see your range increase starting in spring and into the summer. Although I am still waiting for my Model 3, my previous EVs acted this way.