Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your rated range again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, when I first got my car I would charge 100% to ~ 499km and 90% to ~ 450km. But then over the winter 90% (which is what I usually do) started showing 447km, then 442 km. I figured it was maybe to do with the cold and perhaps the battery holding slightly less charge, but when it got warmer the estimated range didn't return. It does seem like a lot of AWD owners have 'settled' down to the ~ 480km 100% charge, ~ 430km 90% charge. You have an AWD as well from your sig, so are you seeing similar?

The 523km is only for LR RWD, and its its not actually 'real' range. It is just Tesla updated the calculations since the RWD is slightly more efficient than the AWD.
Yes, now showing ~477 km at 100%. Our high back last year was 495Km. Our Teslafi shows a ~4.2% degradation which seems common.

I'm curious - how often do you guys do a road trip and super charge back to back?

After a summer of road trips to Ottawa and Montreal, my battery is reporting 505 (20km loss from the top 525 =~ 4% degradation as expected).

Still puts a smile on my face when the pedal hits the metal. A week ago, an Land Rover tried to beat me off the line and I came back and pulled past even though he had a good head start guzzling gas :)

Reactions: corlaandstan
Another thing that points to a software change is that my estimated range is now often higher than my rated range even though I'm only getting 90-something percent efficiency. (You can see estimated range through TeslaFi, the Tesla rest api or through the energy app and choosing the 50km distance setting).

My car is at 90% SOC with:
rated range = 419.6 Kilometers
estimated range = 430.68 Kilometers

And my previous 50km has been two drive of about 25 km each one with 91.8% efficiency and the other with 93.4%.

Hmm, so AWD and PAWD all seem to be converging on the same numbers. I can't see everyone's car 'degrading' at the same rate. I'm thinking this is more some software calculation happening....if it were degrading you would think there would be a bit of a spread.
Mine is right there as well, 1 year old AWD with 33K KM. From TeslaFi it started going down noticeably in July of this year. Have only charged to 100% twice in the year I have owned it.

I got my SR+ on May 31, 2019, have driven just over 10,000 kilometers and the average during this time has been 134 wh/km. I typically charge to 80% and when i first got the car i was getting 324km starting range and now I am down to 286 km as of a couple of days ago. I have only charged to 100% a couple of times but noticed this weekend that when i did that i got 357km range. Not sure what to make of this and if i should be concerned? thanks

I got my SR+ on May 31, 2019, have driven just over 10,000 kilometers and the average during this time has been 134 wh/km. I typically charge to 80% and when i first got the car i was getting 324km starting range and now I am down to 286 km as of a couple of days ago. I have only charged to 100% a couple of times but noticed this weekend that when i did that i got 357km range. Not sure what to make of this and if i should be concerned? thanks
You must have been charging to 90% when seeing 324km because 324/.9=360km. And 286/.8=358km. So those numbers are both consistent. Though they should calculate out to 386-ish km. But all indications are that there is some software thing going on (no one can really tell you better), but it seems to me there is a consistent 5-ish % of 'missing' range on many cars.

You must have been charging to 90% when seeing 324km because 324/.9=360km. And 286/.8=358km. So those numbers are both consistent. Though they should calculate out to 386-ish km. But all indications are that there is some software thing going on (no one can really tell you better), but it seems to me there is a consistent 5-ish % of 'missing' range on many cars.
it still seems odd because at 80% of 386km, i should be getting 308 but am at 286km, can't have that kind of swing in 3 months of owning the car.

Showing 499 in August as that was the last time I did a 100% charge, will do another for the Thanksgiving weekend, did the calculation at 25% and 90% and it still multiplies out to 499. I've only ever supercharged once for 5 min, usually charge to 90%.
AWD, Sept 2018 build with 30,200 km

Showing 499 in August as that was the last time I did a 100% charge, will do another for the Thanksgiving weekend, did the calculation at 25% and 90% and it still multiplies out to 499. I've only ever supercharged once for 5 min, usually charge to 90%.
AWD, Sept 2018 build with 30,200 km
That's interesting. Every other AWD in this thread from Sept 2018 seems to be down around 480km at 100%. How many km are on your car?

Reactions: GlenM
it still seems odd because at 80% of 386km, i should be getting 308 but am at 286km, can't have that kind of swing in 3 months of owning the car.
Agreed, that's why to me this points more to a software thing rather than battery degradation. But it's near impossible to tell.

One consolation is I'd you are averaging 135wh/km you are getting better than rates range by 10% or so. So if you actually drove to empty from 100% you would get better than 386km anyway. Not really apples to apples, but it's something.

I am in the exact same situation. 287km for 80% and car is 6 weeks old. I charged to 100% today just to see what it would show as the upper limit and it didn't exceed 359. I hope it's the software because losing almost 30km of range already would be quite disappointing

That's interesting. Every other AWD in this thread from Sept 2018 seems to be down around 480km at 100%. How many km are on your car?
That's an interesting point to think about..... Casmium says he has only supercharged once and still has 499 and is a Sept 18 build like mine with 30K KM as well. I was at 499ish until Aug of this year when I took a long road trip (7k KM) and almost exclusively supercharged. Thats when I started seeing it drop. Now that I am back and am not using super charging any more, I am seeing a slight uptick in range from my lowest point of 474. I am at 482 now. I have tried the "calibrate" various methods and did not have much of an impact. Seems slow and steady climb in range with my HPWC charging at home.

edit: Went back and looked at TeslaFI and can pinpoint the exact start of range drop quite easily, it was July 15 on FW 20.4.4 at 21K KM.

Last edited:
Forgot to change TeslaFi's schedule and ended up with 508 at 100% this morning - same as Friday when I left for a trip up to North Bay over the weekend. Supercharged twice for the round trip. 110V/12A charged maybe 150kms while at destination.

It is weird some cars are showing 20-30km loss over a short period and others are fine.

VIN range?

Just another observation, I usually leave my car in the % rather then km. Sometimes when I park it in the driveway rather then the garage if I leave home with 71% battery and drive to work 4km and arrive with 68%-70%, at lunch it will show back to 71%, my guess this is something to do with temperature outside in the morning or overnight, and then warming up in the day. This does not happen when I leave the car in the garage. I do remember last winter when it was really cold the Percentage counting up as I drove on a couple of occasions as the battery warmed up, and getting a big when it had the snowflake and finally warmed up. I'm just wondering if it would also make the range loss seem greater on a cool morning. Maybe compare after charging during the day vs night

I haven't gone back and reviewed the data, but it seems that for those who are reporting no loss of range, they have a fairly high daily usage - 80 km. or more. Perhaps the usage is as important as the charging? My 6 week old SR+ has an estimated range of 347 km. My daily commute is between 16 and 35 km.