Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your rated range again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged to 100% although was at 99% when I finally got to check it this weekend before heading to Ottawa, and then Huntsville and finally back to Mississauga, it showed 485km. So it seems to fit in with what most other people are seeing, last time before the civic holiday weekend was still showing 499.

I attached the 20k numbers. Back in Feb, my 100% for me was 475!

Attachments

• IMG_20191014_122851.jpg
    IMG_20191014_122851.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: webbah
Getting 476km at 100%

Model 3 LR RWD

Built May 2018
42,000 km odometer

Usual 80% charge gets me around 383km most days. Been like this as early as I can remember.
(Extrapolates to 482km at 100%)

Supercharged to 80-90% a handful of times in early ownership.
Otherwise only charge at home overnight with 32A, up to 80%.
Charged to 100% after running battery down to 7%, thinking it would recalibrate. It didn't.

Getting 476km at 100%

Model 3 LR RWD

Built May 2018
42,000 km odometer

Usual 80% charge gets me around 383km most days. Been like this as early as I can remember.
(Extrapolates to 482km at 100%)

Supercharged to 80-90% a handful of times in early ownership.
Otherwise only charge at home overnight with 32A, up to 80%.
Charged to 100% after running battery down to 7%, thinking it would recalibrate. It didn't.

Takes a few >50% charge to recalibrate. Just use it. You can always try a hard reset to see if that helps.

My overnight charge to "80%" hit 399km again a few days ago. Actual charge was 82%, but this is consistent with what I used to see when new, ~400km and ~82% (with it set to 80% charge limit on the screen). Recently I was getting pretty consistent 389km to 391km with the same setting (but I don't often check the %). Now that I think of it, It may be the night I stared charging a few hours later, so it's probably more of a factor of how long the car was sitting after it finished charging.

Didn't know that hard-reset (Brake+Scroll Wheels) would reset the BMS calculation. I will try that.

I'm just concerned that my battery is not providing the capacity it was specified and advertised to provide.
A 10% difference is significant and it seems to have been this way from early on in ownership (< 5 months).

Previously, I trusted Tesla's advice that the range number is calculated based on driving patterns. This does not seem to be the case.
It's hard to go back to Tesla years after owning it to resolve a range issue that may have existed from the beginning. I just want to know that I received what I purchased and there is still no way to do this.

If the range is "hidden" outside of the calibrated battery range, then I will never be able to access that energy because I would have to drive beyond 0% displayed range to use it - and inevitably end up stranded when it does hit the true bottom. So I never really got the range I purchased. (Correct me if I'm wrong here).

The reason people are so interested in this number (Displayed Range) is because we want some kind of indication of our battery health, capacity, and trends.
It is the most important specification of the car and switching to battery % does not solve this concern.

When purchasing a product the first instinct you have is to ensure you received what you paid for, and I have yet to confirm that.

In spite of all this I love the car, I only take issue with this because if I wasn't going to get the full capacity advertised I could have opted out of the Long Range option and purchased an SR+ for much less money and only slightly less range.

I hope that Tesla prioritizes improving the BMS system's ability to estimate range and provide insight to battery health for owners' peace of mind. I have faith this is achievable, if the value is recognized.

Reactions: corlaandstan