Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your rated range again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you and everyone else commenting taking into consideration that we now have colder weather and it is known to effect the range. This behaviour is perfectly normal, you should see your range increase starting in spring and into the summer. Although I am still waiting for my Model 3, my previous EVs acted this way.
Model 3s do not act like previous EVs in this regard. They do not change range on recent driving conditions like a volt/bolt/leaf, etc. The range displayed uses a fixed wh/km rating.

Are you and everyone else commenting taking into consideration that we now have colder weather and it is known to effect the range. This behaviour is perfectly normal, you should see your range increase starting in spring and into the summer. Although I am still waiting for my Model 3, my previous EVs acted this way.

We are all talking about the displayed estimate of range, which is based on kWh available and an efficiency constant set by Tesla. This is not affected by driving habits/weather* in the Tesla, as pointed out on their website.

In colder weather it does sometimes apply a discounted range estimate but this is clearly shown with a snowflake icon over the battery icon. I doubt anyone here was seeing and ignoring it and it hasn’t been showing up for me yet while parked in a garage.

This was not the case last winter. I had almost exactly 100% of expected km all winter and my range only started going down in June through August of this year and has since started going up again. Tesla even claimed that warm weather was causing the loss of range.

I hadn't been tracking the range lately but my typical 80% charge caught my eye so I checked and found I had 412km on Oct 11 and on the weekend I had 395 at the same 81%.

No worries just curious about these range swings which shouldn't be related to the weather and I thought the latest update was giving 5% more performance but also range?

SR = Standard? Loaner with 12000kms. Charged to 90% = 298/299 this morning. This model feels just as fast as the LR. 0-100 in about 5 seconds.

upload_2019-12-11_16-20-47.png

I see a gap between 332 km to 344 at 90% of charge. Last time I charged the car to 100% it was showing 372 km.

I keep the car in the garage but not the hated one so it could get pretty cold in there. Also I am using the schedule charge option. Still don't know what causing that difference with the rated range.

I haven't checked in a while but I see 310km at 90% today for my sr plus bought in August this year. This should be what I see at 80%. I have found my actual usable range to be much lower than the raged range and even went into the SC. They said I have some degradation, around 6% but nothing they will do anything about.

All in all, I have extrapolated that my actual range at 100% is about 200-220km, which is disappointing (and getting worse in the colder weather) and pretty far off from the 386 or 402 as they are advertising now.

I haven't checked in a while but I see 310km at 90% today for my sr plus bought in August this year. This should be what I see at 80%. I have found my actual usable range to be much lower than the raged range and even went into the SC. They said I have some degradation, around 6% but nothing they will do anything about.

All in all, I have extrapolated that my actual range at 100% is about 200-220km, which is disappointing (and getting worse in the colder weather) and pretty far off from the 386 or 402 as they are advertising now.

Cold weather will zap up to 40% off your range due to heating. Short trips make things worse. Having chargers at both ends of your commute really helps but it should be more than enough for the average daily commute.

My numbers have winter months consuming roughly ~1.6 times more energy than the warmer months. Worse if sentry is on.

That's me at 100% this morning. SR+

49233509731_69cc819fde_c.jpg

My garage isn't heated one, so when it gets cold I see the warning that the charge rate will be affected by the cold temperature.

Odo? I have ~5% of degradation at 50,000kms and sitting around 499/525km on the LR. I wonder if Tesla simply shaved off 5% of rated range so people get use to that range as it will be the norm after one year of ownership.

this has been bothering me, i get the whole rated range etc
according to my tesla stats my 100%sr + is 361 and its gone as low as 349 this morning
i have 33k

I don't think your car's lost as much range as you think it has. Missing 1 to 2kW (6-12kms) is more of a unbalanced issue. Just charge and drive. Go to Tesla if you're consistently getting 361*0.65 = 235kms (at 90%) = battery warranty.

Unless you're watching it charge to 100%, it's likely just drain and completed charging giving a false "full" reading. If you finished charging at 3AM at 90% and have sentry on, the battery will drain down to 87% by the time you wake up and get into the car.

It fluctuates and it'll average out. At 50,000kms (just passed it yesterday :D), the LR is sitting at 499km vs 525km (new). Expected degradation per the manual and a ton of research.

upload_2019-12-18_8-52-35.png

upload_2019-12-18_8-53-49.png