Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your reasoning behind your color choice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it was a toss-up between grey and blue. Chose the blue primarily because my previous car was grey. I also wanted the Aero wheels (for more rubber, better efficiency and because I'm not a fan of bright silver wheels), and don't particularly like the drab grey-on-grey look when paired with the grey car. I'm really happy with my choice. In low light it looks almost navy dark blue, but in daylight it's brighter and sparkles a bit, which makes dirt and swirl marks less obvious than on a black car.

BTW, I don't think white or silver do much to lower the temperature in these cars, since they have dark glass roofs anyway ...

Last edited:
BTW, I don't think white or silver do much to lower the temperature in these cars, since they have dark glass roofs anyway ...

Good point.

Also I imagine when you are moving and cooling the surfaces the difference in color matters less. For initial start (if in the sun) yes white is cooler.

I try hard to park my cars in the shade and crack windows. Regardless of color.

Next time you are at a Tesla store on a hot, sunny day, walk around and compare the hood and door temperatures of the Model 3 in various colors. The hood and doors on the black, dark blue, and midnight silver can get nearly hot enough to cook an egg...and the black seats get hot enough can make for a very unncomfortable ride in shorts. If you have black seats, I’m not certain whether the windows hurt or help.

Comfort wise, I imagine adding white seats helps, especially with all the glass.

Last edited:
Almost every car I’ve owned has had black interior. And I’ll probably never get much else.

Cracking windows makes a huge difference.

Yes seat can get hot but I always crack windows.

Heat and UV will kill anything in its path regardless of color. So that’s why I crack windows and park in shade when ever I can. And I go to great lengths to find some.

We often have dogs with us so that is a big factor that windows are sometimes 4 inches down and in deep shade.

White seats look sharp. But to much work to keep them that way. If I knew I was to trade it in 3 years it wouldn’t be as large a concern.

So I hope to have a model 3 in a month or so.

I already have a 30A 220 10-2 circuit in my garage. I know that’s not ideal but most of the time it should be just fine. I could replace it with a larger circuit. If it’s only speed I wouldn’t bother.

The garage is attached but not insulated. We can get some pretty damn cold stretches of below 0F in some winters.

After reading the start of this thread it sounds like more amps are occasionally needed to get out of a jam (one you should avoid getting into in the first place). But mistakes happen.

So what size circuit would be the min to get out of any jam (e.g. cold low battery).

I read something about 40A needed early in this thread.

Also what are the advantages of getting the Tesla Charger.

Is it more efficient?
More speed (for the same circuit size)?
Is it smarter to help get out of a jam safely?
What is the min circuit size to get those advantages?

Thanks

My wife and I have always been impartial to Silver Gray. The color is cooler than the darker colors and shows less dirt than most others.

Silver is also very popular in this area so there are typically lots of other cars like ours. When I heard that Silver was one of the least popular colors on the M3 that made up my mind. When it was announced that Silver was being discontinued that made my day. I will now have a limited edition M3!

Of course I went out a few days later and what did we pull up beside, a Silver M3. Beautiful car to me!

Reactions: gravastar
White, because every car I’ve ever owned has been white and I just love that color on a car.

Attachments

• 1EF9ED5F-8482-417E-8F61-E328C9D0001B.jpeg
    1EF9ED5F-8482-417E-8F61-E328C9D0001B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
#fakenews

Reality indicates otherwise, see: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/red-handed/

I’ll bet if you asked police if they pulled proportionally more folks of color they would deny that too.

I thought the article was gonna extract the info from some database, not ask the biased cops if they are biased.

I don’t think it makes a huge difference but I do think it makes some. If anything it’s easier to pick out a red car among a bunch of black, white and silver ones than a silver one.

Reactions: Point 3
Color choice is simple. Pick the one you like. You’ll be looking at that hood every day you own the car.

I like a lot of them. And I “like” some over others for practical reasons.

I also “like” Pearl. But I don’t like Tesla’s version of it nor the problem with metal vs plastic differences.

The posts in this thread have been great !!

I'm hoping they'll bring back Silver Metallic by the time they finally roll out the SR Model 3s. It's a clean/tech look that's also less likely to show dirt and swirls. If not, I'll go with the Deep Blue Metallic... it is a lovely color.

Reactions: desuma