Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your reasoning behind your color choice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a silver one because I like to drive fast and do as little work as possible to keep it looking good.
My wife got a red one because she has never had a red car and loves the red. (However, I have the job of keeping it clean as well.)

We seem to have "win" as we now have one discontinued color and one that we paid $1000 less for than the current price.

Last edited:
Both the GF and I were pretty set on the Midnight Silver or Black. Then I went in for a test drive and got to see the Red in person. Both my GF and I instantly fell in love since it looks so much better than in all the pictures/promo material. So before we left I ordered a P3D- in Red.

Reactions: gravastar
Red because all the other colors (the few that are left) are boring.
(i know, let the comments begin)
Actually like the White and Blue as well but there are too many white cars in AZ and my wife didn't like the Blue. Red it was, again.

The blue is both beautiful and esoteric. It's like the ocean, vast and deep and untamed. During the day, it's brilliantly electric and immediately draws the attention of everyone around. It sparkles like a waterfall at sunset and then transitions to a near black at twilight.

(I got the blue.)
That’s beautiful, man. You’re an artist.

Reactions: EVMeister
IMHO, model 3 looks much better in lighter color, such as white and silver. They stand out the lines of the car.
That is why I choose white as I have multiple silver cars before.

For darker color like blue and black, I just feel like the lines of the front are all blurred together.
Red somehow looks better in photos than in reality. It still looks nice in person but just a bit darker than I prefer.

IMHO, model 3 looks much better in lighter color, such as white and silver. They stand out the lines of the car.
That is why I choose white as I have multiple silver cars before.

For darker color like blue and black, I just feel like the lines of the front are all blurred together.
Red somehow looks better in photos than in reality. It still looks nice in person but just a bit darker than I prefer.
I disagree with almost everything you've said. :)

I do like the look of the white, so I'll give you that. But the silver, to me, shows absolutely no lines at all. The chrome blends in too much with the silver, and you get this weird effect of not being able to see the details of the car. I noticed this on a very sunny day - perhaps an overcast day or other lighting would be different.

Black has the chrome to contrast it, and so you can see some detail. The blue looks really good to me as well, maybe because of the contrast with the chrome.

Red looks better in real life than in photos,and that's also true for the Aero wheels on red. I did NOT like the looks of the Aero wheels in pictures, but they are way better in real life. So far, I haven't bothered to take the Aeros off of my red Model 3.

I do like the Midnight Silver Metallic. That was my second choice to the red. And when I had my car delivered, another family was getting their MSM Model 3, so I got to compare the two of them side by side. I made the right choice with my red, but I would NOT have been disappointed with the MSM. It was gorgeous.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
I do like the look of the white, so I'll give you that. But the silver, to me, shows absolutely no lines at all. The chrome blends in too much with the silver, and you get this weird effect of not being able to see the details of the car. I noticed this on a very sunny day - perhaps an overcast day or other lighting would be different.

Red looks better in real life than in photos,and that's also true for the Aero wheels on red. I did NOT like the looks of the Aero wheels in pictures, but they are way better in real life. So far, I haven't bothered to take the Aeros off of my red Model 3.

Exactly this for me as well. We parked in the same row as a silver Model 3 at Costco recently and I literally walked right past it without even noticing it was a Model 3 until my husband pointed it out.

I had it narrowed down to red or MSM and — after years of buying nothing but grey/silver/non-descript colour cars — took the plunge with red. I've since seen a MSM parked a block away from our house (!!) and am extremely happy I went with red. MSM is very classy but the red makes my heart beat quicker. ;)

I disagree with almost everything you've said. :)

Black has the chrome to contrast it, and so you can see some detail. The blue looks really good to me as well, maybe because of the contrast with the chrome.

I do like the Midnight Silver Metallic. That was my second choice to the red. And when I had my car delivered, another family was getting their MSM Model 3, so I got to compare the two of them side by side. I made the right choice with my red, but I would NOT have been disappointed with the MSM. It was gorgeous.

That just tells how subjective it is when it comes to the color preference :)

Reactions: gravastar
We have many silver and white cars on the road here in CA, likely due to the amount of sunshine (similar to AZ) and just don't see as many of the blue and red that you would think based on the numbers ordered. A lot of black ones, too which completely negates my first sentence. Maybe because it never rains in the summer, so no spots?

My last car was silver, but my first car was red. A 1975 VW Rabbit, manual everything, that literally rusted in half one sad Michigan winter. But it was my car, and it saved me from riding the bus my senior year. Yep, that must have been a subliminal message from my teen years that said "PICK RED!"

Reactions: pilotSteve
Posted this on Facebook the day I got the car:

"The delivery date for my new car was set for yesterday, August 8th. I didn't think of it until yesterday, but it was an interesting coincidence since that was also the day my Dad passed away four years ago.

For a short time while growing up my Dad had a red Pontiac Grand Prix that he loved. He would always reminisce about it, and many years later my brother found a wreck and we bought it, rebuilt it and surprised our Dad with it. While ordering my car I thought back on that car my Dad loved, and it was one of the deciding factors in me also picking red for my new car.

In the end Tesla had to delay one day, but what is one day for a car I've been waiting 2-3 years for. Absolutely loving it so far."
upload_2018-9-25_22-34-20.png

MSM: I disliked it less than any of the other colors.

White: Boring.
Silver: Boring.
Black: Scratch, swirl and dirt hell.
Blue: Boring shade, way too dark.
Red: Not "me"
Midnight Silver: "Fine, I guess?"

I'd have liked a bright blue, an orange, a purple, even a bright green or yellow.

Reactions: TT97