Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your reasoning behind your color choice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I thought it would be fun to discuss your thought process of your color choice.

Don't get me wrong any color detailed up with the right wheels look great. But there are some subtleties to some colors.

Blue -> Red -> Blue -> Red -> Obsidian -> Red -> Midnight Silver.

I have a P3D- on order. Plan to switch wheels to 19" at delivery if all goes according to plan.
I really really love the Red. I had my order in for Red. I finally thought it through and just switched it to Midnight Silver.

Midnight Silver:

- My wife and I recently visited the Tesla Store and she saw the Midnight Silver and said "Ooooh I really like that".
- Probably easiest color to keep clean looking.
- Not so flashy (My Tesla sales person calls it the "safe" color).
- Statistically not ideal visibility to other cars.
- It does look "rich". Kind of like how a "good" Pearl looks rich (see below on Tesla Pearl)
- Blends into the crowd.

Red:

- Screams "sports car". When friends get in, they will immediately think "show me what it can do". I really need to do that as little as possible, I will get myself in trouble. I can see someone pulling up at a stop light and wanting to race, I'm way past that. But you never shed all those kid genes. I kind of like the idea of a sleeper now.
- Good visibility to other cars (that was a big reason I was on Red).

- P3D- can only get Aero's and I thought Aero's with or with out covers looks pretty good on red (or pearl). Not so good on the other colors. But I learned I can swap to 19" at the delivery for the standard ordering price. Which is the wheel I want and looks good on every color IMHO. Except maybe the Silver. I plan to run Aero's on Snows in Winter.

- Attracted to law enforcement.

Pearl:

- Good Visibility
- Cooler in hot weather
- Ever since I saw an Audi in Pearl and a Jeep Summit in Pearl I really like that color. But we will be replacing a white car. I'm tired of white. I know Pearl isn't white.
- Tesla Pearl doesn't look nearly as nice as Audi or Jeep Pearl IMHO. It's to close to white and the metalic doesn't sparkle.

Blacks:

- Great when clean.
- Always clean up even as they age
- Never looks dated.
- But depressing, you wash the car say Sunday. Put in garage. Looks great on the way to work Monday. Come out of work and it's filthy.

Blue:

- Very pretty.
- Suspect it will have some of the problems black has (slightly less). It's a fairly dark blue in person.

I chose blue because I absolutely love the shade of blue it is. Bright enough to be interesting , but dark enough to have some deeper character, especially in low light.

MSM was second but the color is literally asphalt color, and I knew I'd get hit as I put many miles on it.
OBM was second but I just didn't want another black car, my Golf Limited was almost exactly OBM.

I chose White. Why?

-Never owned a white car (black, silver)
-It just pops, clean lines, and is very sleek
-pops enough, but still blends in with other white cars in the road so it doesn't stick out too much
-Keeps the heat out pretty well
-Light scratches and swirls don't show up
-Hides dust and dirt pretty well.

IMO, the red or the blue (if paired with the white interior) look the best, followed by midnight silver and white. The black, blue, and red are very susceptible to minor scratches and paint swirls. If you get one of these colors, you should seriously consider adding paint protection film, especially if you plan to keep the car for more than a few years. Compared to these colors, the midnight silver is a bit more resistent to paint swirls, but it still gets them.

Now that metallic silver is discontinued, pearl white is the color that:

* Provides the best efficiency/range, due to less cooling needed to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature and less cooling needed to keep the battery cool.

* Is best at hiding minor scratches, including paint swirls.

* Is the safest / most visible in the light and dark.

* Is best at hiding dust, much of which is light colored.

The downsides are that the white front fascia is a bug magnet and can look really, really disgusting after a long drive in an area with a lot of bugs. Also, the paint on your rear bumper may not match the rest of the car (see other threads on this topic).

My choice? Red is my favorite color, but I decided that red is probably not the best choice for a Tesla that I will park outdoors (no garage) and in the city, often in public parking areas. I like blue with white seats, but I ruled out the white seats and blue along with it. For a long time. I wavered back and forth between white and MSM, ultimately settling on MSM to “blend in” in public parking areas. If I lived in the suburbs and had a garage, I would have picked red.

Last edited:
I'm one of the rate ones that got metallic silver. I chose it because to me it looks the most futuristic. I loved the promo shots with the silver and also one of the reveal cars was silver, loved it then love it now. I'm happy with my choice.

With Tesla effectively cancelling silver mine is now a rare breed.
Are you planning to do any after-market modifications to your silver metallic? I have one too, but have no ideas to personalize it. Chrome deleting would look off on these color, I think

I chose red.

I am typically a grayscale kind of person. Black, white, silver, MSN, or anything in those spectrums. And I nearly pulled the trigger on MSM.

But I love this particular shade of red. It’s a darker crimson red more in line with OU Sooner red. And I haven’t had a red car like this since my first Toyota Supra.

Occasionally I will think it would be nice to have MSM. But I’m pretty happy with my choice.

This sounds silly, but I also think I chose red because I wanted to impress my mother. It’s her favorite color. And I have the feeling she thinks I am spending too much money on a car. So subliminally I thought if I could wow her with a nice looking car she wouldn’t disapprove as much as she otherwise would.

Now, all I want for Christmas are these wheels to go along with it.

Michael on Twitter

Hmmm. You don't have the white (or pearl) in your original list. Make no mistake, the "pearl" is white.

And I chose that for practicality. I don't like paint that absorbs heat (ever placed your hand on a dark car parked next to a white car out in the sun on an 100+ degree day? I have! I think the white looks clean and sharp for longer.

And I find the white to be most visible. On a long stretch of two-lane road, I can see the white cars coming WELL before the dark blue, grey, silver, black cars.

I don't like government car white. But I do like a good pearl.

One thing I don't like about the white is the HUGE contrast from the dark glass and wheels. But I'll get over it.

I chose red for reasons touched on above - when it’s sunny out it is a bright red and when cloudy it’s a darker more “safe” red. I had a “Liquid Red” G8 GT and I think the whole cop magnet thing is way overblown. You’re not going to get caught speeding if, you know, you’re not speeding.

I waivered between red and MSM - but the more I see white and metallic silver the more I enjoy those, too. I wish the blue had been more an “electric” blue, so to speak, no pun intended. My boring-ass Sonata right now has a blue that, if it was Tesla’s blue, I would have done again.

Also I thought this car deserves to breath and deserves to live. It demands a “color”.

Reactions: tyanger
Debated back and forth between the MC Red and the MC Pearl. Ended up going with the Pearl. We have a MSM MS and so it will be parked in the driveway with it alot. Our house paint is brown. Just didn't like the brown, gray and red color combo so ultimtely that's how I chose LOL. Also haven't had a white car before so it will be different. Had blue, gray, silver and a green (never thought I would want a green car either but this was a Toyota Spruce metallic and quite nice shade and nice change of pace). Now I did like the older Brown Metallic they had back in 2012-2013 and more recent Titanium Metallic color which were discontinued shortly before we ordered our MSM MS back in 2017.

The downsides are that the white front fascia is a bug magnet and can look really, really disgusting after a long drive in an area with a lot of bugs. Also, the paint on your rear bumper may not match the rest of the car (see other threads on this topic).

I’ve had mismatch issues between plastic painted parts and metal painted parts with our current white car. They age differently. And if you get any plastic parts repaired you end up with 3 shades of white. Blah.