Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your recent experience with service? About 100 miles from nearest SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted the comments below in reply to a potential new owners question on Facebook earlier this evening. I decided to post here to see if anyone here on TMC is having a similar experience. Actually also hoping this is seen by a concerned exec at Tesla and the poor customer service I have received is just an error or a good employee having a bad day.
I live about 100 miles from the nearest service center at Villa Park, Illinois. I owned my Model SP85 for three years with a prepaid ranger service and grew to have great respect for Tesla service. It was flawless. I was so much in love with the car and the company that I ordered a new Model X. I also have 2 Model 3 on order for one of my companies. In spring of 2016 I received my new Model X 90D. A great vehicle! The X has had a few minor warranty issues early on but they were resolved with a quick ranger visit or trip on a trailer back to Villa Park for repairs. Easy no hassle warranty service that every customer would love. That is until recently.....my most recent need for service includes a front passenger door that won't latch closed. (Full disclosure..I am occasionally able to get the door latched, but then it won't open except from the inside). This latch problem along with a few other minor glitches is about to turn me from a Tesla evangelist to a former owner and former stockholder. I am now in my third week waiting for Tesla to transport the car to Villa Park. (Waiting on parts maybe) And I'm now told that I must pay $291 for this warranty service. And, to add insult to injury, I'm told that loaner cars are only available with in 50 miles of a service center. Needless to say, I'm way beyond disappointed and disillusioned with Tesla at this point. The company will be in dire straits soon if this is the path they have chosen. My former Lexus dealer never treated me like this....Sorry for the rant. But buyer beware if you don't live pretty darn close to a rare Tesla service center.

I live > 120 miles from the nearest service center and when I had the same problem with the driver door, the service center dispatched a flatbed with a loaner to my home and picked up my car. After replacing the latches on both front doors the car was returned to my home on a flatbed and swapped for the loaner. All under warranty at no cost to me.

Someone's feeding you BS. I would escalate to Tesla Service at 877-798-3752. Tell them your car is undriveable because of the problem.

My drivers door latch failed and I had to pay over 1000$ to get the service tech to fly out to my city to repair. I could have driven to the SC which is a long 4 hour mountain pass drive each way and required cancelling a day or two of work. Repair itself was arranged quickly (car driveable but alarm regarding door was constantly going off), free and flawless.

Initially at time of purchase, I was told there was twice a year ranger service to my area for minor repairs but after purchase i was told that there was always a travel charge. Now my passenger FWD is broken and will not open. I am trying to debate driving the 4 hours to the SC in the winter or waiting till the spring on this. Car is clearly driveable but it is kind of annoying. Sounds like the free ranger service is available in some areas but clearly not in mine.

Given the number of issues with inital MX models, I wish Tesla would at least let those of us in a specific non SC city to pool our service ranger visits to split the costs. I cannot imagine I am the only one with issues and there are at least 3 other MX owners in the Okanagan that I know of.

Reactions: vandacca