Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your S 75 range at 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the degradation generally seems to level off and slow down after some miles.

In this case, would it be safe to assume it's ok to purchase a 30k-40k miles Model S if it's a good deal vs paying considerably more for one with 10k-20k miles?

So the degradation generally seems to level off and slow down after some miles.

In this case, would it be safe to assume it's ok to purchase a 30k-40k miles Model S if it's a good deal vs paying considerably more for one with 10k-20k miles?

It does slow down, but is more than what most of us expected in terms of total capacity loss. The advantage of buying with higher mileage is...

1. Cheaper Price (remorse is proportional to price paid)
2. Less experiential degradation; it seems to be somewhat more consistent over the long haul historically which means there should be less shock over capacity loss. If the range at 50K is suitable, it should remain manageable over a longer term ownership period.
3. Less weeping and gnashing of teeth two years from now when the car is largely obselete from a feature, range, and charging capability standpoint compared to new Tesla offerings.

I would try to find a sucker who has made substantial efforts to protect the pack over the ownership period only to see the same or greater degradation than those who don’t give a *sugar*...

Last edited:
It does slow down, but is more than what most of us expected in terms of total capacity loss. The advantage of buying with higher mileage is...

1. Cheaper Price (remorse is proportional to price paid)
2. Less experiential degradation; it seems to be somewhat more consistent over the long haul historically which means there should be less shock over capacity loss. If the range at 50K is suitable, it should remain manageable over a longer term ownership period.
3. Less weeping and gnashing of teeth two years from now when the car is largely obselete from a feature, range, and charging capability standpoint compared to new Tesla offerings.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Trouble is, I'm looking at buying used from Tesla and it's going to be more or less a gamble.
I can't get the current 90%-100% figures from them before delivery.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Trouble is, I'm looking at buying used from Tesla and it's going to be more or less a gamble.
I can't get the current 90%-100% figures from them before delivery.

If 75’s are in your target price range and you are willing to accept the cons, (slower charging, voltage caps, range challenges, and permanent Supercharging throttling), I would not worry about it. The 350V packs are so heavily nerfed at this point, they should be very reliable as Tesla has no intention of replacing them. You will honestly be fine.

If 75’s are in your target price range and you are willing to accept the cons, (slower charging, voltage caps, range challenges, and permanent Supercharging throttling), I would not worry about it. The 350V packs are so heavily nerfed at this point, they should be very reliable as Tesla has no intention of replacing them. You will honestly be fine.
There’s very little evidence of 75 packs being affected at this point by the batterygate voltage limits at all.

In 3 years and 100k miles, my supercharging speed has gone UP about 20-25kw at peak.

Definitely some good deals to be had.

Then how much should I practically get? Does it matter in city vs freeway like gas cars?
You must be new here? LOL ...nothing like ICE vehicles. The range number is optimum parameters such as speed, grade, and also if you have 19" wheels or 21"s. There are many folks on here that are more informed about range on here but that's just some of what the major factors are in my opinion.

It's very similar to gas cars. You get more range jf you drive easy. Better range if you drive slowly...etc.

If you drive 60mph on a level road with no sever head wind or extreme temps, you would exceed the estimated range.

Isn't it the other way around with electric cars? Gas cars have that minimum speed where they're most efficient but technically, with EVs, the slower you drive, the more range you have. Example: you'd get much further with an EV driving 30mph vs 60mph.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Whatever you do to get maximum useable range, SLOW DOWN.

Got my first speeding ticket in over a decade just this morning. I'm so pissed. Driving our S75D I had just passed someone poking along in a station wagon. Then I got caught. The waves of schadenfreude sent my way by the station wagon driver, I'm SURE I made his day.

The CHP Officer clocked me at 98 mph. I claimed that I didn't know how fast I had gotten. He wrote out my ticket for 80 mph, otherwise I wouldn't have been eligible for traffic school. He also pointed out, twice, that I could contest the ticket at the Municipal Court located at the next exit, very same freeway exit that I was going to use anyway to make it to my appointment. Naturally, in my rush to get my appointment, I was late.

I'm so mad...

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer