Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your S 75 range at 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 S75D with 91K miles. Lots of daily trips in the past that constituted 100-110% of rated range , typically 3x a week with supercharging. Very rarely driving long distances now . Pretty much always left the slider at 90% while charging using wall charger at home.

90% is 207 miles
Full charge around 230

for quite some time the 90% figure degraded down to 196 miles . This was when daily mileage was about 20. Then we started doing weekend trips to beach during Covid, and range shot up past 200 within about a month . I didn’t do the recommend discharge and charge ; just appreciably draining the battery down to about 15-20% on a day trip snd charging back to 90% at night brought it back up.

2016 S75D with 91K miles. Lots of daily trips in the past that constituted 100-110% of rated range , typically 3x a week with supercharging. Very rarely driving long distances now . Pretty much always left the slider at 90% while charging using wall charger at home.

90% is 207 miles
Full charge around 230

for quite some time the 90% figure degraded down to 196 miles . This was when daily mileage was about 20. Then we started doing weekend trips to beach during Covid, and range shot up past 200 within about a month . I didn’t do the recommend discharge and charge ; just appreciably draining the battery down to about 15-20% on a day trip snd charging back to 90% at night brought it back up.

Interesting. I too am noticing about 205m range at 90%. Back when I got the car in early 2019 my 90% was 222/223m. But as I don't do a lot of long drives on a consistent basis my 90% has been degrading. Kind of makes sense as the BMS does not have a chance to accurately calculate the range.

Interesting. I too am noticing about 205m range at 90%. Back when I got the car in early 2019 my 90% was 222/223m. But as I don't do a lot of long drives on a consistent basis my 90% has been degrading. Kind of makes sense as the BMS does not have a chance to accurately calculate the range.
My original 90% was 232 miles at the time of purchase. I stressed the car hard in the initial years ownership, and it progressively dropped and stabilized around 212 miles . Then my driving habits changed and I barely did anything more than grocery and preschool trips, and it ‘fell’ more. But now that I give it a chance to discharge and charge, it’s gotten back close to its original equilibrium point. It’s not degraded this winter either - it still gets up to 205-207 as it did since late last summer.

Reactions: RaymondNoodles
My 2016 model S 75 has a 90% charge of 197 miles. I'm looking to see what others are seeing with the same car of equal age. It used to be 204 and has been declining by one mile every couple weeks.

I bought new in September 2016 and it has about 50k miles.
I own 2016 Model S 75 RWD @ 48k miles (was upgraded from 60 to 75 via software update in 2018. I never paid close attention to the range since my wife drives this car. During pandemic, i started to use this car, and noticed gap in the range.

i have done a detailed analysis and shared with Tesla. I have proof that my car shows range of 192 miles @ 90% charge under controlled conditions. Based on battery behavior, the projected range is 208 miles at 99% charge. I performed controlled experiment ( can provide details) to limit battery consumption at 252.91 Wh/mi, which is much lower than EPA rated 340 Wh/mi. My projected range should be better than EPA under controlled conditions. If there is an interest in this group, i can post all the details. Tesla denies any issue with battery or powertrain, and went on to state that i should not expect more than 190 miles range on a single charge. Tesla faulted me for not charging my car often. They asked me to charge the car every night. So i am in process of trying their recommendfor next 9 months. If I don’t see any improvements, i will reopen the issue.

i can manage with reduced range, but it is not something i paid for. My battery is showing close to 20% degradation, but not at 30% to initiate legal challenge to Tesla.
Would love to hear thoughts!!

thanks,
-agro

Reactions: bktiger86
I own 2016 Model S 75 RWD @ 48k miles (was upgraded from 60 to 75 via software update in 2018. I never paid close attention to the range since my wife drives this car. During pandemic, i started to use this car, and noticed gap in the range.

i have done a detailed analysis and shared with Tesla. I have proof that my car shows range of 192 miles @ 90% charge under controlled conditions. Based on battery behavior, the projected range is 208 miles at 99% charge. I performed controlled experiment ( can provide details) to limit battery consumption at 252.91 Wh/mi, which is much lower than EPA rated 340 Wh/mi. My projected range should be better than EPA under controlled conditions. If there is an interest in this group, i can post all the details. Tesla denies any issue with battery or powertrain, and went on to state that i should not expect more than 190 miles range on a single charge. Tesla faulted me for not charging my car often. They asked me to charge the car every night. So i am in process of trying their recommendfor next 9 months. If I don’t see any improvements, i will reopen the issue.

i can manage with reduced range, but it is not something i paid for. My battery is showing close to 20% degradation, but not at 30% to initiate legal challenge to Tesla.
Would love to hear thoughts!!

thanks,
-agro
You're not going to get anywhere with this. Your car has no warranty for battery degradation or real world range. The 30% figure is only for cars sold well after yours. In short, everything you've observed is "normal".

The very first paragraph in the "Charging" section of your owners manual is quite clear (in that all-caps-bolded sort of way) on the best way to charge the battery. Repeated deep discharges will degrade batteries faster than regular daily charging.

Model S has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model S for several weeks. When plugged in, Model S wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

NOTE: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary.

There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

Last edited:
You're not going to get anywhere with this. Your car has no warranty for battery degradation or real world range. The 30% figure is only for cars sold well after yours. In short, everything you've observed is "normal".

The very first paragraph in the "Charging" section of your owners manual is quite clear (in that all-caps-bolded sort of way) on the best way to charge the battery. Repeated deep discharges will degrade batteries faster than regular daily charging.

I think you might be right. This entire notion of asking owners to plug in their cars every night is to reduce range anxiety of people like me. They never experience the actual range and dont know about it. Part of the fault is with EPA who let car makers use an alternate mechanism to calculate range, that does not reflect the real world driving conditions. It failed consumers.

My 2016 model S 75 has a 90% charge of 197 miles. I'm looking to see what others are seeing with the same car of equal age. It used to be 204 and has been declining by one mile every couple weeks.

I bought new in September 2016 and it has about 50k miles.
I have an S60 bumped to S75 and my 90% range is 204. I have 90K mostly highway miles bought november of 2016

Wife’s car 2015 75D (refurbished pack) not sure how many miles were put on the pack before we got it last year but it gets 219 @ 90% and 243 @ 100%. Currently 51,350 miles.

I sold my 2013 75 (RWD) and the pack was put in by Tesla (new not refurbished) in Nov 2016. It had 151,000 miles of which I put over 45k on the pack. It was getting 239 @ 100% and 218 @ 90%. I would say the pack had over 75k miles on it.

Reactions: WhiteWi