TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's your SR/+ single-charge distance record?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by willow_hiller, Jul 7, 2019.

1. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

My wife and I just took a 1,300 mile road-trip to Montreal, and our last leg was relatively efficient. There's been news floating around that the SR+ has a real-world maximum range of under 200 miles, so I thought I'd start this thread to see how far y'all are making it. Here's our trip details:

210.8 miles over 4 hours from 98% SOC to 13%. Average speed of about 53 MPH and average consumption of 202 Wh/mi.

The last leg of our trip was from the Molly Pitcher NJ turnpike supercharger to the suburbs of DC. March 2019 SR+ RWD with 18" aero wheels, set on chill mode. It was about 80 degrees outside, pouring rain for half the trip (auto wipers on), and we had the AC set on auto at 69. The in-car navigation wanted us to supercharge to 100%, but we were getting a bit impatient waiting for those last few percent and set off at 98%. For the first 30 minutes or so, the nav kept saying we needed to keep it under 65 MPH to make it to our destination, but I just kept on AP at the speed-limit for the first hour, and then 5 MPH over the speed limit for the last 3 hours. We weren't trying to hyper-mile or anything, just trying to make it home without an additional stop, so I'm expecting some of you will have better distances.

last_leg.jpg

Has anyone made it further than 210 miles (at highway speeds) on a single charge?

• Like x 2
  2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

#2 AlanSubie4Life, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    A nice solid range result.

No info pertaining to your question...but these numbers suggest 210Wh/rmi for the SR+. Are you sure you started at 98%? Your trip graph looks like the first point is more like 96-97% (which would suggest closer to 215Wh/rmi). Sounds like you are sure. In any case you're not showing miles so it is hard to get an accurate calculation. Maybe the trip graph is just off for some reason. Anyway, we've got calculations elsewhere from video with the SR+ showing the constant is 215Wh/rmi (but it would be great to have a confirming data point)...which would mean you used 198 miles of rated range for this trip - 82.5% of the battery.

In either case, anyway, you were doing better than the rated range. Not sure whether it was downhill, of course, without know the approximate start point. Anyway, an important factor in any distance record comparisons; start and stop elevation need to be within a hundred feet or so to have a negligible impact on the result.

3. darth_vad3r

darth_vad3r Well-Known Sith

I think on such a long trip, the usual method of “rmi” calculation can be thrown off by adjusmtents/recalibrations in the energy gauge.

Also re: energy gauge being off, I’ve had it up while charging to try and see if I can tell a more accurate % level, like 89.5% vs 90% and I’ve noticed a lag in the display updating. If I want more accurate readings I cancel the trip and restart it to try to force a refresh. I also do a short trip so the scale is bigger :)
    I don’t know how long a delay there is though and if that would explain an entire 1-2% mismatch. It does eventually adjust upwards, I’ve seen it with a +1-2% jump up before IIRC.

Anyways, that wouldn’t come into play here at all unless @willow_hiller had the trip chart up while still charging at around 96-97%, then watched the gauge hit 98% and then left with the chart still “stale”, rather than (re)starting the nav after the charge. [Edit: by ‘stale’ chart I mean it says “98%” on the chart axis but the line didn’t move up from when first drawn from a lower %]

I think if the nav was started while at a lower level like 90% or lower we would have seen the jump up from the charging in the chart I’ve certainly seen that before in my car.

What numbers did you use to convert 98% and 13% to rmi for your calculation? I think the lower you get or the more % you discharge the more errors there may be from other unseen factors.

4. willow_hiller

I could be misremembering 98%, but I wanted make sure I wasn't understating the amount of battery used. 96-97% is definitely a possibility.

The start point was the Molly Pitcher Service Area supercharger, as I said above. Just looked up the altitudes and it looks like it was actually a bit of a net climb. The service area is at 118 feet above sea level and my house is at 239.5 feet.

• Like x 1
  5. AlanSubie4Life

Whoops. I was skimming...I saw Molly Pitcher NJ turnpike and read no other words....

Anyway, not a significant difference. Substantially less than 1 rated mile due to the elevation.

• Like x 1
  6. AlanSubie4Life

240 rated miles for the 100% was my only assumption. Obviously it's all just rough guessing without miles.

All the same, pretty solid confirmation of the (already known) 215Wh/rmi number. This result comes in at a stated 210Wh/rmi, but it sounds like there is some uncertainty on the actual starting %, which would bring it in line with the better documented 215Wh/rmi number.

Anyway, it's clearly in that ball park. It's certainly not 205Wh/rmi or 220Wh/rmi.

Back on topic...I don't want to derail this thread...back to people talking about the miles they have got on a single charge - I am very interested to know how well people have done. Looks like 240 miles at normal driving speeds (for some highways) is quite possible. Someone should report a drive like that!

7. willow_hiller

Thinking back to my logic at the time, 97% sounds probable. I remember watching the trip meter while supercharging and seeing 95% at the start and 5% at the bottom, and thinking "I'll charge up to 98% so I'll have 8% when I get home." But of course the trip meter was factoring in lower speeds, so 96% came while the bottom stayed at 5%, and 97% came while the bottom stayed at 5%, so we might have set off then. Definitely no lower than 97%.

I was expecting someone to one-up me almost immediately. Especially since we had really terrible rain for half the trip. I figure wet roads and furious auto-wipers reduced the range a little bit.

We got a respectable 223 Wh/mi over the entire trip, and I suspect that it was only that high because on the way up we went up and over some very mountainous Pennsylvania roads.

canada_trip_meter.jpg

8. darth_vad3r

Weird that on the chart the bottom grey line looks way closer to 0% than 5% too.

Your “Canada” is way better than mine (lifetime of car minus one trip to the US :)) ... I’m around 240 Wh/mi in Canada over several thousand miles.

I think cooler spring temps are weighing on my average. It’s been trending down. Total lifetime is about 245 Wh/mi now (the US trip in early spring was a higher speed high-consumption trip :))

On-topic, I don’t have any ultra-long leg trips to report.

After reading about Bjorn’s optimal 190km/hr speed and the 24-hr record, I think most of my future long trips won’t concern myself with trying to hypermile since “wasting electricty” going fast saves more time overall since the supercharging is so fast. I would probably only do it in a situation like yours where I want to just avoid a stop altogether on the final leg home (and I’ve done this on shortish trips, just nothing long yet).

9. darth_vad3r

#9 darth_vad3r, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Ya, that and the “thicker” wet air affects drag too. 202 Wh/mi is pretty good for a highway trip. Lower speeds (53 MPH average) has a big impact:
    [​IMG]

40 MPH would get you the farthest according to ABRP.

Source:
    Model 3 Consumption and Charging

• Informative x 1
  10. willow_hiller

I had read this thread here that basically said when the trip meters says 5% or less, it's factoring in a slower speed limit to achieve that. Don't leave unless it shows 6% or more arrival

Basically, you could arrive with 5%, if you keep it under 65 MPH. Until it shows 6% or greater on the tail end, it's expecting you to go slower than the speed limit. So maybe the grey projection line doesn't factor in this self-imposed speed limit.

And before this trip, we had a lifetime of 218 wh/mi. I haven't checked it since, but I imagine it's gone up slightly since we doubled our ODO in a weekend!