Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your take on carbon fiber interior trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen anyone mention carbon fiber, it's either Figured Ash, or Dark Ash. Has anyone had any experience with carbon fiber in the Model X or the S? I thought it would look great with the Midnight Silver, black seats with black headliner, and doing matte Xpel on the seat backs.
My second choice would be Figured Ash, with matte seat backs, followed by Dark Ash, and glossy Xpel. We have 6 days left before changes require $500. What say you all?
Thank you for your responses in advance.

I have the carbon fiber and I think it looks fantastic. It's a matte surface and goes really well with the other surfaces in the car.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1459765647237.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459765647237.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • FB_IMG_1459765670166.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459765670166.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,053
Reactions: omega731
I went with the carbon fiber only because I thought it would be less likely to have issues. Issues being delamination of veneering, warping, clear coat bubbling etc...... These may not be an issue but I figured the carbon is most likely baked together in a kiln so hopefully more stable.

Reactions: omega731
Has anyone had any experience with carbon fiber in the Model X or the S? I thought it would look great with the Midnight Silver, black seats with black headliner, and doing matte Xpel on the seat backs.

The carbon fiber trim looks fantastic IMHO but then I'm also not a fan of wood trim in general. You described my config exactly. Minus the matte xpel seat backs which is due to be installed this Thursday.

I couldn't be happier with all of the above. And also with the 22 inch black onyx wheels.

The carbon fiber trim looks fantastic IMHO but then I'm also not a fan of wood trim in general. You described my config exactly. Minus the matte xpel seat backs which is due to be installed this Thursday.

I couldn't be happier with all of the above. And also with the 22 inch black onyx wheels.

Thank you for your feedback...I am getting the Onyx wheels as well. You all have been great, I just can't wait to get the darn thing. We were thinking that we might get in time for our annual trip to Legoland (June 25th), wishful thinking, I know. I have 3 boys under 10 and they are all LegoManiacs.

Reactions: longwait
I had obeche matte in my 2014 Model S which at the time I thought was pretty unique and clean looking for a car trim. I just upgraded cars and this time got the CF interior. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought the CF was almost too flat in appearance. It has really grown on me. It's when sunshine hits the trim that you can really appreciate it's subtle 3 dimensional qualities. I personally like CF even more when I consider the other current limited options, Figured Ash - is too Lexus like for me, and Dark Ash looked too much like a fingerprint magnet.

Some cars with carbon fiber make it look cheap. Then again those are mostly not real, the Tesla one fits overall in my opinion and doesn't cheapen the look. It goes well with the interior lines and color schemes. It also just depends on the feel you want when getting into the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Paco180
Ah, see OP that you did go with the carbon fiber trim.

Model S owner here with midnight silver body and all black interior with the carbon fiber trim. We're very happy with the look. Low maintenance. Personally I didn't care for the simulated textured wood grain look of the other options (assume that's what it is). One reason for choosing the carbon fiber was that it was a smooth surface compared to the other choices and had no grain to get stuff trapped in so would be simple to wipe clean with a damp cloth. No kids here but I can see parents appreciating that aspect of it. I tend to like a uniform interior color or at least shaded variations of it instead of contrasting colors so that also had a lot to do with the decision. It really is a matter of personal choice though.

BTW love our black alcantara headliner and dash components so far. Very soft and doesn't seem to hold the heat.

Last edited: