Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your top feature request that could be accomplished via software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been driving the model 3 for a few weeks and overall loving it so far. What are your top feature requests that you would like to see in your model 3 that could be accomplished via software update?

Here are my ideas that I would love to see in order of preference:
- Automatic audio volume adjustment based on vehicle speed
- Easier access to changing audio source (even with the update, have to reach all the way to the right of the screen)
- Blindspot detection & alerts similar to other cars
- Be able to lock the car door when I'm inside it (I grew up in a city and a time where car jacking was a thing).
- Be able to use onboard cameras as a dashcam through the mobile app or vehicle app
- Be able to turn off annoying backseat seat belt warnings (I have kids and sometimes they use the middle seat buckle when sitting on the right side).

Curious to hear what others would like.

Anatari, you can lock the doors already while inside..hit the lock icon on the top map screen..to the left of the “T”.

- I would like to see the CLOCK and TEMP to be moved to the far left screen..The font is WAY too small and it’s hard to see with the map behind it.

- I would like to have the ability to customize the “Cards.” Give me at least the ability to ad another card that I can customize for quick access to features I want to get to fast..so I dont have to dig through the multiple screens while driving.

- I have a Tesla wall charger at home and I dislike having to unlock the car first before being able remove charging cable. I should be able to remove the cable by simply pressing the release button on the charger. It would be nice to have that option added to the charge screen.

- The Tesla app had a make over a while back and I like to see the TRUNK unlock control switched with the FRUNK. This is the way it was when I first got the car and I dont know why it was moved..I use the trunk more often than the frunk..OR at the very least the app should be customizable. It would be great if I could select which controls I want displayed.

- It would also be great to be able to connect to the onboard camera’s via the app. How cool would it be so check on your car remotely, when you receive a security warning.

- How about a browser like the S and X?

- The ability to connect to wifi. Not all area’s have LTE service. Like to be able to connect to home wifi to get updates, etc while out of LTE range.

Has anyone else noticed that the Map looks “washed out” when it zooms in? It was looking fine before, but it changed after firmware updates ..

- Wi-Fi
- Summon (I know it’s coming eventually)
- Navigation waypoints
- Onboard camera dash cam mode
- Setting to switch back to color maps (if this grayscale map business is here to stay)
- More music streaming options (SiriusXM, Apple Music, etc)
- 3rd party apps (yeah I know, never gonna happen)
- Text message support for reading incoming messages and dictating new ones
- Web browser
- Weather radar map overlay
- Voice commands to adjust HVAC settings and turn rear heated seats on and off
- Drag and drop capability to easily reorder favorite stations
- Have favorites be source specific, not just one bucket of favorite stations for all audio sources
- Unlock charge port when phone key is near car and button on charge cord is pressed
- Some sort of hand gesture that the front AP cameras see to unlock the frunk (would only work when car is parked and unlocked)
- Apple Watch key support

Been driving the model 3 for a few weeks and overall loving it so far. What are your top feature requests that you would like to see in your model 3 that could be accomplished via software update?

- Easier access to changing audio source (even with the update, have to reach all the way to the right of the screen)
- Blindspot detection & alerts similar to other cars
- Be able to lock the car door when I'm inside it (I grew up in a city and a time where car jacking was a thing).
- Be able to use onboard cameras as a dashcam through the mobile app or vehicle app
- Be able to turn off annoying backseat seat belt warnings (I have kids and sometimes they use the middle seat buckle when sitting on the right side).

Curious to hear what others would like.

The volume does adjust (I think once) based on speed. It's subtle but definitely there. Probably could use more refinement.

You can lock/unlock the car at will by clicking on the lock icon in the upper left corner of the screen.

Just buckle the middle seatbelt to its latch. Now kids won't accidentally set off warnings.

Cabin overheat protection. In the Arizona desert, it’s huge when you never have to get into a car warmer than 105 F.
This appears to have been stealth-added in the 2018.18 releases. There are no controls, but when the cabin is hot, the HVAC runs. I can see this via TeslaFi.

My requests: around-view camera, wifi, more stuff being tied to driver profile (eg steering/creep/Regen settings).

Automatic audio volume adjustment based on vehicle speed

This was an option in the earlier software. Only downside was it was buggy and I had it turn my volume up to max over and over again several times. I turned the option off which fixed the issue, and Tesla removed the option in the next software update. So it might come back.

Top of my list is speed limit sign recognition like AP1. Then I could use AP on the other half of my commute where the maps have the wrong speed limit.

I also want WiFi and Chademo support

- Wi-Fi
- Navigation waypoints
- Setting to switch back to color maps (if this grayscale map business is here to stay)
- Web browser
- Have favorites be source specific, not just one bucket of favorite stations for all audio sources
- Unlock charge port when phone key is near car and button on charge cord is pressed
- Some sort of hand gesture that the front AP cameras see to unlock the frunk (would only work when car is parked and unlocked)

I dont have my model 3 yet, but this would be my list. +1

Most Tesla's I've seen have curbed rims; So adding a surround aerial view for parking using the existing AP camera array. I've seen and used surround parking on a bunch of cars (some much cheaper) and it works well. Help me save my rims when auto park is not available.

Reactions: RBowen
- Wi-Fi
- Navigation waypoints
- Web browser
This list read my mind.
-Would also like to add some sort of lane switching alerts if a car is detected in the next lane and your blinker is on to go that way.
-Turn on rear camera when blinker is on. Doesn’t have to take up the full screen either.
-Better iPhone integration
-To be able to mirror phone screen (when parked of course)
-Auto fold mirrors using GPS location (e.g. when pulling into garage)
-Ability to customize quick controls screen
-Ability to download maps offline. Some people live in areas where cell service is horrible.
-Waze integration
-Ability to set a front passenger seat profile

Both of these are already on the car. the automatic volume adjustment used to be an option, now it is just always on. And you can lock the car by touching the little padlock on the touchscreen.

Reactions: dhrivnak