Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats Your VIN#....When was it assigned...Predicting SIG X Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model year VINs aren't tied to the calendar year of production. There's a long standing practice among vehicle manufacturers to produce (and sell) vehicles for a model year many months before that calendar year. I'd bet every new-car dealership in the US is selling 2016 models.

Also... these are 2016 VINs, so I think we can go ahead and load up on popcorn and book our Xmas vacations - these things aren't hitting our garages this year.

Not sure if Tesla is (no longer?) slave to batching. After going through a factory tour and learning about the addition of production line 2 and the new state-of-the-art paint-shop, it's very likely that they are able to build-to-order sequentially with any option/variation. So, I think Paul's analysis on ModelXTracker will find that order finalization date is likely the key indicator for VIN sequencing - at least for Signature models since they are all roughly the same price.

Oh, man, Tesla must have mislaid my lottery ticket: yesterday a bright red Confirm button appeared on My Tesla, even though I configured on 9/17 and have an email from Tesla on 9/25 confirming my confirmation.

I was Sig X reservation #325...and this morning I got VIN #00683. Sad panda...

Where are you taking delivery? We were assigned VIN yesterday 10/22, originally sig 351 and assigned VIN 66x. Sad pandas here too. Have you spoken to your DS about it?

For those upset about VINs being assigned out of order compared to their sequence number, please remember that Tesla does not build VINs in numeric order. The VIN sequence is simply an artifact of when your order was transmitted to the factory. From there, the factory decides when to build orders based on parts availability and delivery location. It does seem like they are assigning VINs in an arbitrary manner, but I'm sure there's some logic behind it.

For those upset about VINs being assigned out of order compared to their sequence number, please remember that Tesla does not build VINs in numeric order. The VIN sequence is simply an artifact of when your order was transmitted to the factory. From there, the factory decides when to build orders based on parts availability and delivery location. It does seem like they are assigning VINs in an arbitrary manner, but I'm sure there's some logic behind it.

Could they be trying to foil Paul Carter's ModelXTracker.com? If the VIN doesn't have any bearing on build order (seems weird if that's the case) then Tesla is effectively trying to keep secret how many they've built and how many have been cancelled.

Could they be trying to foil Paul Carter's ModelXTracker.com? If the VIN doesn't have any bearing on build order (seems weird if that's the case) then Tesla is effectively trying to keep secret how many they've built and how many have been cancelled.
Changing from sequence numbers to reservation dates was a clear attempt to avoid tracking. I'd expect this to be the case for Model 3 from Day 1 as well. The VINs could very well be randomized for similar reasons. I think it will ultimately be a moot point as the supposed fast ramp in production should mean all the Signatures get built and delivered in less than a month and who gets theirs first will be more a factor of delivery times versus production dates.

I don't think Tesla has ever said that. The e-mail from Tesla said that all reservation holders would be invited to *configure* their cars before the end of the year, but I believe that applies only to US reservation holders as I believe those outside the US never got that particular e-mail.

There has also been some speculation or third party reports that they "heard" that all confirmed US signature depositors would get their cars by the end of the year, and I think that is definitely possible assuming Tesla starts getting seats and windshields in the necessary quantities.

-CB

The official quote I received from the X Config Team when I asked was, "We are aiming to deliver all Signature vehicles by the end of 2015."

lots of people got those buttons prematurely. Tesla is trying to pull them down. There were intended to be displayed only upon configuration. The amount is populated in the lease or credit app by the design studio. Don't bother until you have been invited to design.

My DS called today and told me, with the standard caveats, that the current production plan is to deliver the Colorado bound Signatures the last week of November / first week of December. My RN is in 1300s and my VIN is in the 300s.

He also said that the first vehicles are taking 6-8 weeks in production as they work out the process, but by mid-November the plan is for that to be brought down to 4 weeks.

It would seem like they are at least batching by location if not other criteria as well.

My DS called today and told me, with the standard caveats, that the current production plan is to deliver the Colorado bound Signatures the last week of November / first week of December. My RN is in 1300s and my VIN is in the 300s.

He also said that the first vehicles are taking 6-8 weeks in production as they work out the process, but by mid-November the plan is for that to be brought down to 4 weeks.

It would seem like they are at least batching by location if not other criteria as well.

At least you are getting some estimates! The team is always polite but gives no info.... I wonder why the disparity?

Last edited:

Great new info, thanks for posting! If this is true, it means that a whole lot of cars must be in production already without the status for the customers updated. I guess that would be because it is still hard for Tesla to predict production time.