Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your Wh/mi when taking a long road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was using 450+ Wh/mi driving at 80-85 mph on I-5 in CA over the weekend. Wonder what's the most optimum speed vs. time (energy) combination?

If you have enough Superchargers close enough, and no limitations from the law, it's probably even higher than that. The bottom half of the Supercharger charges at over 200 mph even at those high consumption rates, so the faster you can race to the next charger, the shorter the overall trip.

That's not how I would choose to drive the trip, but the math works out. In theory the highest overall speed should be near where the average charge rate equals the average discharge rate...

I gave this some thought and was not able to generalize a solution.
  1. If SCs are close together, the slower driver can save time by skipping chargers.
  2. If they are further apart the fast driver may have to fill up past the fast charge rate.

Was using 450+ Wh/mi driving at 80-85 mph on I-5 in CA over the weekend. Wonder what's the most optimum speed vs. time (energy) combination?
Ouch. 450+ is pretty bad. Over what distance?

@Saghost is right - if the Superchargers are directly off of the highway, as they are on I-5. If you have to slow down through a town or city and take a hit on your average speed, then maybe it's not worth it.

In my recent 347 mile trip over the last weekend, we averaged 356 Wh/mi

1. Temps around 70F
2. Bulk of the highway ride averaged 70mph
3. About 80% highway miles

And on my routine route to work this week I am averaging about 330 Wh/mi

450 Wh/Mile on a 90kWh battery would get you 200 miles. Take into account the 80-85mph speeds and that would translate to ~220 miles at 65-70. Take into effect the 10-15% range reduction for 22" and that gets you to 251miles which is pretty close to the rated 250/257 miles.

So I would expect that if you drive at 85mph on 22" tires in a P90D that 200 miles would be the extent of your range on a full charge if not a tad less than 200 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: mlouie23