TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wheel aerodynamics question

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by dapiya, Mar 6, 2018.

1. dapiya

dapiya Member

I asked the guy at the store why there weren't left and right wheels. He looked at me like I was crazy(he may be on to something, but still) after trying to explain what I meant. On all of the different turbine styles(Model S,X and 3sports), I see the same thing. One side will move air outward, one will move air inward. In other words, while spinning down the road and looking at each wheel from it's respective side, the left will appear to move counter-clockwise, the right clockwise. Does anyone know what affect this has? Going 75 down the freeway, the left side seems like it will be slicing through the air as designed and the right side seems more squared up to the relative wind.This seems like it would have a mild effect on the aeros as well.

Anyone want to swap 2 wheels? lol

• Like x 1
  2. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Interesting thought. I would assume the asymmetry in and of itself would have to make some sort of difference although I doubt it is much. When you find that person to swap wheels with, get some data and let us know!

Dan

3. dapiya

dapiya Member

I would guess it's not too big of a factor as well. The claims of aero vs sport at freeway speeds ranging from 1-10% has really shined a new light on the wheels for me. Anyone I've talked to about it has led to a dead end.

4. timk225

timk225 Member

The old 1970s cars with their plain stamped steel wheels must have been pretty darn aerodynamic. New technology isn't always better.

5. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot