Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Aesthetics Poll ... sort of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All from Yokohama,

Not really a poll, just asking opinions on the three wheels I'm looking at for my MYP arriving early next year. Living in Japan, my options may be different from what you have available. Also keep in mind that the first Model Ys just came here only three months ago, so my local community is tiny! To explain my parameters, I want square (not isosceles trapezium), NOT black, reasonably-priced (so OEM and T Sport Line are beyond my budget), and comfortable, thus the 19X8.5J with 255/45. As to the tech, that's another forum, this is about looks!

ENKEI PFM1.jpg

ENKEI GTC02.jpg

These two are ENKEI, both almost as light as forged, and in my 70s mindset, beautiful. I contacted the company, but they haven't answered about compatibility. Tesla service said they should fit, but cannot recommend anything but OEM wheels and size. My local wheel shop won't order unless somebody says "OK," so I may have to buy one wheel, ask them to physically check the fit, then order the remaining three. Japan's national bi-annual (after the first three years) inspection system is finicky!

RAYS 57DNA.jpg

This one is a RAYS GramLights 57DNA, in their brand-new "Azure" line. RAYS does assure fitment to Tesla MYP, so this can be ordered immediately, and the shop is happy to do so. The design is kinda like a Hawaiian Plumeria flower, haha. Those bevels are cut in three different planes, so probably look "dynamic" at low speeds.

So ... ?

Hi Charisjapan... I'm in Japan (Okinawa) and just received my MYRW last week. I upgraded to the Tesla 20" rims/tires when I ordered back in June, and while I'm currently happy with them, may look to replace with aftermarket rims when I'm due for tire replacement... I have read through many of your posts related to sizing and hub rings and that really helps a lot. I dont know much about the Tesla sizing and hole patterns and you provided much of that! Thanks!

To answer your above question, I really like the look of the Rays Gramlights.... Guess it also depends on the color of your Model Y whether it meshes well...

• Love
Reactions: charisjapan
Hi Charisjapan... I'm in Japan (Okinawa) and just received my MYRW last week. I upgraded to the Tesla 20" rims/tires when I ordered back in June, and while I'm currently happy with them, may look to replace with aftermarket rims when I'm due for tire replacement... I have read through many of your posts related to sizing and hub rings and that really helps a lot. I dont know much about the Tesla sizing and hole patterns and you provided much of that! Thanks!

To answer your above question, I really like the look of the Rays Gramlights.... Guess it also depends on the color of your Model Y whether it meshes well...
Hey OkiVash,

lol, all I’ve learned in the past few weeks! But yeah, there are a LOT of variables to consider when getting wheels and tires that truly meet your needs. One of my needs is budget, so willing to spend a few hours to find my own heart. I admit that there are some nostalgic parts of me that would want to explore the limits of adhesion in this-or-that situation. But then … Reality Check! The 21” Isosceles Trapezium (aka Not Square) UberTubines are WAY more than I need driving around Yokohama, or even to the Hakone Turnpike. For the sake of my 42-year marriage and to keep me from acting like a teenager, I’m going for 19X8.5J rims with TOYO Sport SUV 255/45R19 tires.

All that said, I ordered Red Multicoat, hahaha 😝 (but still considering Deep Blue)

じゃあね、cj

So ENKEI finally answered, and said, “No data, can’t recommend.” To be honest, I find this incredibly lame for such an established wheel-maker, with world-wide reputation and deep racing experience. It’s not like the Tesla Model Y was unveiled last week! Nor does Tesla have outrageously complicated suspension/brake or wheel well specs. Humph 😤,

I could do what I described and make it work, but that would be sort of overriding the installer’s recommendation, which might cause me irksome problems come inspection time, or in the case of an accident.

On the other hand, RAYS has okayed their wheels for the Model Y Performance, in all of their various lineups … Volk Racing, GramLights, V.M.F. Etc. This includes their own Hub Rings for Tesla and TPMS mountability.

The RAYS forged wheels are gorgeous, but beyond my means … especially after committing so much for the new car. After some deep diving, I found that some of the GramLights (not all) are nearly as light as forged, and plenty strong for street use. In addition to the machined 57DNAs above, the 57CRs are quite nice, very light, and very affordable. They are available in an incredibly glossy black (also incredibly hard to keep clean), but the gunmetal pleases my wife … for whichever color we choose. DNA or CR?

Cheers, cj

D865BD48-37F1-43E4-BA06-1A8B73C61E8F.jpeg