Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Alignment, How Far Off is This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AlignmentData.jpg

Can someone tell me just how bad this is?

I went to my favorite tire place to have the tires rotated and they refused to do it. They said they don't have the jack needed to safely lift the thing, but they did tell me that my front tires are showing signs of scalloping (cupping) and I need to have them rotated ASAP and to find the cause of the wear (9000 miles on the tires). So I took it to the Tesla service center (80 miles away) and they rotated the tires and did a wheel alignment. ($$$$) My question is, does the data above show a gross misalignment that would be the probable cause of the tire wear? Not shown in the picture but the "after" data shows everything pretty much centered within the allowable limits.

I an an Engineer and work on designing alignment machines... the competitor to the one used in this shop. This is enough toe in to cause wear on your tires. You had half a degree of toe out which means the wheels were "aligned" pointing outwards of the direction you were traveling and thus scrubbing the tire off. Middle of the spec puts you at one tenth of a degree of toe out.
Also, the range on this vehicle specification is huge compared to other higher end sports cars (VAG, MB, BMW...) I am surprised at this and I would (will) align mine to a much tighter spec. It is not uncommon to have a +/- 0.05 deg spec for total toe! so I will be aligning my car to -0.10 +/- 0.05 deg same goes for the rear toe. Camber and caster ranges look ok.
But I am curious...do you know why your front total toe was out by this much?

• Informative
Reactions: ValXp