TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Wheel alignment (lowering question)

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by zanardi43, Apr 23, 2017.

1. zanardi43

zanardi43 Member

I've been on the fence about getting lowering links installed on my MX P90D, but my major concern (other than potential air suspension issues) is having enough latitude in the wheel alignment range to be able to accommodate a lowered stance. If anyone has lowered their MX and/or has first-hand knowledge of the MX alignment range capabilities, I'd be most appreciative.

• Helpful x 1
  2. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Why would you want to lower it mechanically when you can easily do it with air suspension?

3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Go to controls. .suspension. .you can set your Tesla from Very high to very low. .it's remembered on your GPS location and automatically goes to that settings. There is a speed limit that you can set it to go low which you can use it for highways.
    I use high when I go to malls to avoid the curb during parking & speedbumps.

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Note: Only High and Very High height settings are remembered at a particular GPS location. Right now, you can't have the Model-X remember low or very low at a GPS location (which is a shame). I'd like to set my Model-X to go into low everytime I park it in my garage so that the FWD will clear the garage door motor.

• Informative x 1
  5. zanardi43

zanardi43 Member

I should have been more clear...I am aware of (and use) the adjustable air suspension currently. What is like though is to have an even lower setting than the OEM 'very low'. I can buy lowering links to accomplish this, but want to understand how much alignment room/tolerance is available first.

Thanks for the replies.

6. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

There are some posts on TMC about unequal tire wear when constantly run on Very Low settings...I don't have personal experience with that, just quoting.

7. Olle K.

Olle K. Member

What are the benefits of lower settings?

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Some like the way it looks. It is also likely more aerodynamic. It will be hard on the tires though as the camber is only going to increase even further.

Yes, this is actually a thing...

StanceNation™ // Form > Function

9. bushburner

bushburner Member

What I've learned from owning a mercedes and a porsche with air suspension is that they can be pretty finicky. I would not fool with it. It will definitely look nicer, but the possibility of premature wear on the air suspension negates that.

• Like x 2