TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wheel alignment question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Fobble, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Fobble

Fobble Member

I did a wheel alignment at a non-Tesla shop recently due to car pulling to the right. The after-alignment print out seems to be perfect, but the car still seems to pull to the right, both on local roads and highways. At first I thought driving on local roads might pull a bit due to crowning for rain water to drain out, but I think it should be perfectly straight on highway if alignment is perfect. The right pulling seems to be a bit less pronounced than before the alignment. Am I missing something?

The mechanic said he make left rear caster -0.5degree to compensate the road crown. I have not brought the car back to the shop yet.

Attached Files:

2. Science fan

Science fan Member

To state the obvous, I would use a Tesla service center. Have them do a realignment and that should end your problem. Hopefully, you are still under warranty and they will pick up responsibility for any needed repair.

3. Fobble

Fobble Member

Tesla covers wheel alignment on the first 1000 miles. After that, wheel alignment is not part of the warranty.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Science fan

Science fan Member

Thanks MPG LOL (great handle). My recommendation (I was not as clear as I could have been) was actually to pay Tesla to do the re-alignment. If they could not do it for some reason, they would ultimately be responsible to make it right, even if there is an underlying (i.e. more expensive) problem causing the difficulty in obtaining a successful realignment.

5. Flyguy

Flyguy Member

If you search, there is a lot on this form about alignment . I had to get Tesla to align my model S four times before it would drive straight after delivery. Fortunately, it’s been driving straight ever since

6. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Mine torn the left rear tire up.
    Took to the SC, cost $180. Took him 3 hours.
    He said all 4 were out. I did not argue.
    It has been fine ever since.
    Oh, no one in town would touch it.

7. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

My car is over 41k miles and never did a wheel alignment. It always drive straight, the first set of tires worn out evenly at 38k and second set looks good so far.
    Is there any reason I should get an alignment done?