Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel alignment question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a wheel alignment at a non-Tesla shop recently due to car pulling to the right. The after-alignment print out seems to be perfect, but the car still seems to pull to the right, both on local roads and highways. At first I thought driving on local roads might pull a bit due to crowning for rain water to drain out, but I think it should be perfectly straight on highway if alignment is perfect. The right pulling seems to be a bit less pronounced than before the alignment. Am I missing something?

The mechanic said he make left rear caster -0.5degree to compensate the road crown. I have not brought the car back to the shop yet.

Attachments

• Folder(2018-8-26)0001.PDF
    365.3 KB · Views: 126
I did a wheel alignment at a non-Tesla shop recently due to car pulling to the right. The after-alignment print out seems to be perfect, but the car still seems to pull to the right, both on local roads and highways. At first I thought driving on local roads might pull a bit due to crowning for rain water to drain out, but I think it should be perfectly straight on highway if alignment is perfect. The right pulling seems to be a bit less pronounced than before the alignment. Am I missing something?

The mechanic said he make left rear caster -0.5degree to compensate the road crown. I have not brought the car back to the shop yet.

To state the obvous, I would use a Tesla service center. Have them do a realignment and that should end your problem. Hopefully, you are still under warranty and they will pick up responsibility for any needed repair.

• Disagree
Reactions: VaztheDad
Tesla covers wheel alignment on the first 1000 miles. After that, wheel alignment is not part of the warranty.
Thanks MPG LOL (great handle). My recommendation (I was not as clear as I could have been) was actually to pay Tesla to do the re-alignment. If they could not do it for some reason, they would ultimately be responsible to make it right, even if there is an underlying (i.e. more expensive) problem causing the difficulty in obtaining a successful realignment.

Thanks MPG LOL (great handle). My recommendation (I was not as clear as I could have been) was actually to pay Tesla to do the re-alignment. If they could not do it for some reason, they would ultimately be responsible to make it right, even if there is an underlying (i.e. more expensive) problem causing the difficulty in obtaining a successful realignment.

If you search, there is a lot on this form about alignment . I had to get Tesla to align my model S four times before it would drive straight after delivery. Fortunately, it’s been driving straight ever since

I have since looked at the machine in the SC. It's a Hunter Hawkeye Elite. I called Hunter, verified it is, yes they can. I took mine to local shop. Needed right tie rod end left lower ball joint. Finished right, now left.
Oh, it is $79 vs 180. The S is in the Elite. With pictures.

There is no caster measurement for the rear suspension. Caster is a steering angle (i.e. front end). I suspect you are referring to a camber setting (the lean in or out from vertical). The car should be set to factory specs as the factory is well aware of road crown. In spec can also cover quite a range. If the R.F. is 0.5 degrees positive camber and the L.F. 0.5 degrees negative that will cause a drift but both measurements could be within the factory range (these numbers are hypothetical as I do not know the Tesla specs). I suspect you have what is known as radial pull. A tire can have internal damage or defects that cause a drift and in some cases a pretty dramatic pull to one side or the other. At my shop I have installed brand new tires on customer's cars with perfect alignments and had the pull be evident. One of the tires was "faulty" despite being new with no visible defect. If you are able try rotating the front tires side to side or, preferably, front to rear and see if that solves the problem. You don't state the mileage on your car but if the alignment is in spec and rotating the tires does not change the pull (either eliminate or reverse the direction of the pull) then something is worn or bent that the shop doing the alignment did not catch.

Ignore this post. I just realized how old the original post was with no follow up by the OP. Info I posted is valid but obviously of no use to the OP.

I have since looked at the machine in the SC. It's a Hunter Hawkeye Elite. I called Hunter, verified it is, yes they can. I took mine to local shop. Needed right tie rod end left lower ball joint. Finished right, now left.
Oh, it is $79 vs 180. The S is in the Elite. With pictures.

Good to know. I had my MS aligned by a local shop (No SC) that has the same machine but the alignment failed. Will bring it in this week as they said they could fix it.