Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel and Tire Change Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently got the Model Y Performance. It had the 21" Uberturbine wheels and Parelli tires as the stock configuration. I just changed to a 19" wheel and tire configuration.
The ride is MUCH better. Now here is my question for all of you mathematical geniuses. The old setup weighed 69 lbs on the front and 76 pounds on the rear. The new setup weighs 64 lbs at each wheel. I see a lot of inputs here saying that you get better range and faster acceleration, but NO ONE says just how much. What can I expect to see as a difference in these two categories?

Your new setup only shaved a few pounds per corner at best? You'll get some benefits but not much and it most likely won't be noticeable.

Reactions: iustin
I just recently got the Model Y Performance. It had the 21" Uberturbine wheels and Parelli tires as the stock configuration. I just changed to a 19" wheel and tire configuration.
The ride is MUCH better. Now here is my question for all of you mathematical geniuses. The old setup weighed 69 lbs on the front and 76 pounds on the rear. The new setup weighs 64 lbs at each wheel. I see a lot of inputs here saying that you get better range and faster acceleration, but NO ONE says just how much. What can I expect to see as a difference in these two categories?
You went from 21" to 19"? What was your tire size spec and brand? I am thinking about doing the same because looking at rims for 21" are super expensive.

The new tires are 255/45/19 Pirelli PZero. I originally got the same size in Cooper tires, but had balancing problems. Took them to an independent tire shop with Hunter equipment and found out 3 out of 4 were unable to pass the "force balance" test so I took them back to Discount who had sold them to me. Luckily, Discount upgraded me to the Pirellis without charge and I am happy with them.