Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Bands Kit for Tesla Model 3 (curb rash protection)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried Wheel Bands Evannex offers? Wheel Bands Kit for Tesla Model 3

Do they work well? Say on after several months? etc....

Yes, they work well and have been on our 3 since September. They were easy to put on and they do not come off when driving.

The only issue that has occurred was when we needed to have one tire rotated on the rim due to a tire imbalance. The wheel band became dislodged when the tire technician was “breaking the bead” to rotate the tire on the rim. We clipped the band around the damaged band section to prevent it from “flopping” around when we drove home. Once home, we replaced the missing section (we had some spares from the initial install).

Per the FAQs on the Evannex website, the bands will need to be replaced when the tires are replaced due to the tire bead breaking equipment.

wheelbands.jpg
I love Wheel Bands - had them on my S for 4 years and now on my 3...they do a great job, easy to apply, easy to repair - they win over the others for having both of those characteristics. And go directly to Wheelbands company to get a big discount on a whole second kit to use for repairs when you scrape stuff...some tire changers will break them off, but really caution them and they can do it without ruining the wheel bands...

I installed mine in the winter. It is really cold here. Perhaps that was my mistake? But in any event it was hard to get them to stick with the adhesive that is already on there. So I used liquid cement after they fell off a few times. Even with the liquid cement they kept falling off. However they mostly fell off after contact with a curb. I think car washes (even by hand) exacerbating the issue. So perhaps they did their job of protecting the wheel from damage?

I thought it looked bad to not have all 4 bands on there so eventually I took them off. If there was a way to get them to stick better, as in permanent I would have been happy to keep them. Aside from curb rash protection they also covered up the underlying curb rash which was nice.

Best of luck with a solution.

Yes, they work well and have been on our 3 since September. They were easy to put on and they do not come off when driving.

The only issue that has occurred was when we needed to have one tire rotated on the rim due to a tire imbalance. The wheel band became dislodged when the tire technician was “breaking the bead” to rotate the tire on the rim. We clipped the band around the damaged band section to prevent it from “flopping” around when we drove home. Once home, we replaced the missing section (we had some spares from the initial install).

Per the FAQs on the Evannex website, the bands will need to be replaced when the tires are replaced due to the tire bead breaking equipment.

But do you have the stock wheels on your 3? I see the instructions say that you need a *flat* surface to stick to the rim. The stock rims are kinda round, it seems to me. Did anyone hve problems with that? I've got my WB Kit, I'm just waiting to use them if they will work...

r

But do you have the stock wheels on your 3? I see the instructions say that you need a *flat* surface to stick to the rim. The stock rims are kinda round, it seems to me. Did anyone hve problems with that? I've got my WB Kit, I'm just waiting to use them if they will work...

r

Yes, stock 18" rims with Aeros. No issues putting them on and they stay on unless you hit a curb.

Interesting that the ones from Evvanex say not to use them with the 20" performance rims. I bought mine from Abstract Ocean:

Wheel Bands

and there is no mention of incompatibility with 20" rims. I have the AO ones on my 20" rims and love them. I have accidentally ran into a curb a couple times and they worked as advertised. I am sure they saved my rims from curb rash.

For anyone having adhesion problems, the Abstract Ocean instructions say:

"It's really important to use the supplied wipes to clean the application area. Also note that wheels with a protective coating (ceramic, Opticoat, after-market high-gloss coating etc) are not compatible, as the coating doesn't allow for a good bond with the 3M tape. Apply when the temperature is warmer than 50f/15c."

Reactions: pete8314
How do Wheel Bands ans Rim Savers compare?
They're quite different, we trialled both. Rimsavers are a one-piece solution, Wheelbands are two piece (track and insert), made in the US and Australia. Each to their own, of course, but ultimately we found the Wheelbands easier to fit, and higher quality, but they do cost more. We did a couple of videos showing them holding on pretty good on our Model 3.

On Instagram: Abstract Ocean on Instagram: “Concrete vs. #wheelbands, all in the name of ‘science’! Full video coming soon... #tesla #teslamodel3 #teslas #teslamodelx #teslamodels…”

YouTube:

When I hit the curb by accident, the insert part of the Wheelband popped out and afterwards, I was able to pop it back in with no problem. I wonder if this two piece design absorbs the energy of hitting the curb better than a one piece design would.

I had https://www.alloygator.ca/ bands installed on my 3MR/18" wheels. Happy with them.
I have had Alloy Gators on my P85DL 19" my P3D+ with 20" and now my P3D+ with aftermarket 18". They have been perfect, including when my P3D+ was hit by a trailer towed by a truck which caused major damage, but the Alloy Gators protected the wheels.

I know nothing about other types of wheel protection but am a convinced fan of Alloy Gators.