TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Wheel bolt hole pattern on X - Same as Model S?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Drucifer, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I have winter and summer tires for my Model S. I carry a spare from the non-seasonal set in the frunk as a spare tire.

I was thinking about ordering Model X, but with 1 set of All Season tires. Could I use another wheel from the Model S "out of season set" as a spare for Model X?

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

#2 goneskiian, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    I don't think anyone knows with 100% certainty yet.

I would bet it does though. Especially considering Elon had what looked to be S 21's on his X at the reveal.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

I anticipate if they indeed do match up, that there will be a market for X 20s on the S given how often others have wished there were Tesla 20s available.

4. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

In my honest opinion. I do swear that it will be the same. If not I'll buy dinner at the next meet on first Friday in Charlotte SC:rolleyes:

HeHaw

5. jscholl

jscholl Member

Unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure the total diameter of the wheel + tire is larger on the X than the S, so your spare tire wouldn't even touch the ground, or else the car would drive very funny.

6. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#6 FlatSix911, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Yes, it is confirmed that the Model S and X wheel offset and bolt pattern is the same.
    Only the specific tires sizes are different - see the referenced thread for more details:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/57910-Model-X-20-rims-vs-22-rims

Model X wheel sizes - Originally Posted by Tsportline:

• 22x 9.0+35
    • 22x10.0+35

• 20x9.0+35
    • 20x9.5+40

The 20" wheels have front tires in size 265/45-20 and rear tires in size 275/45-20.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Maybe I'm late to the game here, but I'm a bit surprised that they'd use different sizes front vs. rear, so that you can't rotate tires. Maybe I was just burned too many times by the early Model S suspension issues.

8. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Good point on the tire rotation issues. You could always put a set of the front wheels on the rear of the car as some Model S owners did.

9. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Anybody know if my set of snow tires/wheels that I use on my Model S (stock 19" Tesla wheels) will work on the Model X? Love to save a few $$ by not having to buy a second set of wheels/tires for the X. Thanks!

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The bolt pattern will be the same between the two models. Smaller wheels will make the X ride lower. If you have the air suspension on your future X you could compensate for that.

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Also keep in mind that the overall diameter of the X wheels/tires will be larger than that of the S so your speedometer and odometer will be affected. Unless they can update the settings in the car computer at the service center.

12. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Thanks for the info!

13. Roamer

Roamer Member

I think the speedometer may be calibrated via GPS. I have put on different circumference tires and the speedometer is deadly accurate when checked with other GPS devices. I have always been a little amazed at how accurate it is across all speed ranges.