Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel change/range change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CWhite

2020 Model S LR+
Sep 3, 2020
Beaverton OR
My 2020 Model S Long Range + indicated 402 when I got the car(charged to 100% only twice that season) Changed to SlipStream for winter (reconfigured via menu) and indicated range dropped(as expected). Switched back to the Tempest and after configuring it the range did not go back as expected to 402 when I just charged to 100% for a trip to CA. I know I have not actually lost any range but worried I did something wrong with the wheel configuration, even though it can not be any simpler unless you have a wheel not on the menu. Anyone else notice something like this when swapping wheels for the winter and then going back to stock? Thanks

You almost certainly have lost some rated/displayed range. Some battery degradation is inevitable and yours was probably "masked" by the switch to the SlipStreams. Lots of threads on this topic. My 2020 MS P has lost just over 2% of rated range from delivery. Most of that was in the first year. It's remained pretty much unchanged for the past 6 months. This is generally reported to be typical behavior of the battery.

Thanks, I am not complaining. Took my first real road trip (the pandemic sucks) and very pleasantly surprised by the efficiency. Made it from Portland OR to Medford OR (275 miles) easily on one charge driving over 70mph. Made to my stop near Mt Shasta without using more than 100kwh . Not that arriving with 3% remaining would be advisable.

Attachments

• C27CB238-C4DA-47E8-B71D-0C4685D9094D.jpeg
    C27CB238-C4DA-47E8-B71D-0C4685D9094D.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 55
Thanks, I am not complaining. Took my first real road trip (the pandemic sucks) and very pleasantly surprised by the efficiency. Made it from Portland OR to Medford OR (275 miles) easily on one charge driving over 70mph. Made to my stop near Mt Shasta without using more than 100kwh . Not that arriving with 3% remaining would be advisable.
Wow, 276Wh/mi is great, esp if you actually drove 70mph throughout. Granted, my P85D is inherently less efficient, but on a return trip to PDX from Albany this past weekend, I departed with 42% and had all sorts of “drive under 55mph” warnings and made it home with 3%. Kept it to 65mph or so and still could only muster 350Wh/mi.

Wow, 276Wh/mi is great, esp if you actually drove 70mph throughout. Granted, my P85D is inherently less efficient, but on a return trip to PDX from Albany this past weekend, I departed with 42% and had all sorts of “drive under 55mph” warnings and made it home with 3%. Kept it to 65mph or so and still could only muster 350Wh/mi.
Is this your usual Wh consumption? I seems like something is wrong, like a seized caliper? I just finished a 3,400 mile road trip (the first long trip - thank you covid) from NJ to FL, around FL and back to NJ. Route 95 down and back driving with traffic or with the cruise set to 74. Consumption averaged 262 Wh/mi. There were even multiple instances where Mustang GTs needed to be taught a lesson, so efficiency wasn't the primary objective (and is it just me or do Mustang drivers in particular beg to be humiliated?). Your car should not be that less efficient. Try a remote diagnostic maybe.

Attachments

• after Fl trip.jpg
    after Fl trip.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 31
Is this your usual Wh consumption? I seems like something is wrong, like a seized caliper? I just finished a 3,400 mile road trip (the first long trip - thank you covid) from NJ to FL, around FL and back to NJ. Route 95 down and back driving with traffic or with the cruise set to 74. Consumption averaged 262 Wh/mi. There were even multiple instances where Mustang GTs needed to be taught a lesson, so efficiency wasn't the primary objective (and is it just me or do Mustang drivers in particular beg to be humiliated?). Your car should not be that less efficient. Try a remote diagnostic maybe.
I’ve never gotten sub-300 on any road trip, esp not going 70mph. I do have a heavy/staggered 20” setup and my car is a ‘14 P85D so have always assumed mid-300s was normal. Def don’t have a stuck caliper as I’m hyper sensitive about “little” things that could be off while driving. Also, pads still have life even though I’m at 90k miles. They are getting low so I’ve had a full set of pads sitting on the bench for a few months now.