Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Coating (Modesta) and adhesive wheel weights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having our MS P85 detailed, and as part of it we are having Modesta (probably BC-05) applied to the wheels. The question is whether to remove all the wheel weights prior to prime/coating. It seems to me that it is a good idea, however the question is whether the adhesive will then stick to the coating (which is really meant to prevent adhesion of anything!).

Thoughts or experience?

I am having our MS P85 detailed, and as part of it we are having Modesta (probably BC-05) applied to the wheels. The question is whether to remove all the wheel weights prior to prime/coating. It seems to me that it is a good idea, however the question is whether the adhesive will then stick to the coating (which is really meant to prevent adhesion of anything!).

Thoughts or experience?

If you were at my shop, I'd recommend leaving the weights on. The elements never hit the area under the weights, and the wheel will have to be re-balanced again.

Just make sure to take care of it after the coating using a proper wheel cleaner and brush...our choice is P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner and EZ Detail Brush.

You can also maintain the wheels using a nano spray sealant like CQuartz Reload...not sure if Modesta has anything like it right now. M1 shot may be similar.

Thanks, it is certainly cheaper to leave the weights on and not have to rebalance again right now, but next time I rebalance then if the weights have to move we'll have some untreated spots and then new weights will go on the areas that have been treated and have a little less adhesion. My detailer recommended just leaving the weights in place so I guess that's what I'll do.

I was deciding for the paint between BC-04 and BC-05 and the Modesta rep apparently recommended a multi-layer coat of BC-04 followed by BC-05 and that it would look really nice like that. Will check on the pricing....