Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel coatings - any tricks to keep them looking clean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
Hoping to tap into the collective wisdom.

I just bought a set of brand new arachnid wheels for my MS and was wondering if any of the paint protective coatings can be applied to new wheels.

They are forged aluminum, but are finished with some sort of paint and clear coat, so ... why not ?

Hoping to tap into the collective wisdom.

I just bought a set of brand new arachnid wheels for my MS and was wondering if any of the paint protective coatings can be applied to new wheels.

They are forged aluminum, but are finished with some sort of paint and clear coat, so ... why not ?

Check with Brett Miller with All American Paint Protection in Rockville. I just had him coat my wheels - not exactly sure what the properties are. I noticed after having curb rash fixed on one wheel, how much better it always looked, so I had Brett treat all the wheels. He does great work.

You can ceramic coat any wheel that's painted or powder coated. Wheels are relatively easy to do as DIY. I used Gloss Coat for mine:

2018.08.12: Concept Car Styling

It's important to make sure that the wheel surface is squeaky clean chemically so you get maximum longevity of the coating. There are certain ceramic coating lines which are only available for application by certified professionals, but consumer-grade stuff by Optimum, CarPro, etc. will likely suit you just fine.

I just got my standard 19" wheels powder coated and plan to do the ceramic coating before swapping them onto my car for the winter.