Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Configuration — Diameter vs Width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

A few months ago I swapped out my 20” Uberturbines for a set of 18x9.5” Signature wheels with 265/40R18 tires. At the time, I changed the wheel configuration to the 20” Zero G as I figured that this was the widest configuration available and would reflect the proper range.

However, the tire diameter is actually the same as the 18” wheel, but obviously my tires are wider.

I don’t really care about the range estimate as I set the car to SoC%. What’s more important when setting the wheel configuration? Diameter or width?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
All of the wheel configurations in the there have the same diameter (more or less). I think all that adjusts is the range estimation, so you would probably want to just keep it on the Uberturbine setting as the range estimation will be the least wrong that way.

All of the wheel configurations in the there have the same diameter (more or less). I think all that adjusts is the range estimation, so you would probably want to just keep it on the Uberturbine setting as the range estimation will be the least wrong that way.
Wouldn’t the Zero G wheel setting have the worst predicted range since it is wider than the Uberturbine wheels? Wouldn’t that more closely represent the OPs wider tires?

Range estimates do seem closer when set to the Zero G wheel. However the speedometer is off slightly more with the Zero G, as the diameter of that wheel is 26.8” vs 26.5” for the stock uberturbines, and 26.3” for the 18”. A 1.88% difference between the Zero G and wheels I’m running. Maybe it would be better to stick with the Uberturbine config, as that’s only a 0.75% difference.

I have also heard that there may be a difference in traction control calibration depending on the chose. wheel configuration, but not sure if that’s confirmed.

Range estimates do seem closer when set to the Zero G wheel. However the speedometer is off slightly more with the Zero G, as the diameter of that wheel is 26.8” vs 26.5” for the stock uberturbines, and 26.3” for the 18”. A 1.88% difference between the Zero G and wheels I’m running. Maybe it would be better to stick with the Uberturbine config, as that’s only a 0.75% difference.

I have also heard that there may be a difference in traction control calibration depending on the chose. wheel configuration, but not sure if that’s confirmed.
Only says it affects estimation of range, tire pressure warning levels, and the car visualization. I don’t think it affects the speedometer at all.

EACA1B13-1A8F-4A00-A875-276D0C2B34C1.jpeg