Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Configuration Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unplugged Performance requires 21 inch wheel setting when you install their lowering brackets. I have no idea why, but it must do something!

PLEASE NOTE: For use with Model S vehicles factory-equipped with air suspension only. To install on your Model S, you must have the 21″ wheel / tire calibration (if your vehicle was factory equipped with the 21″ Turbine wheels, this is by default). For vehicles that were originally equipped with wheels other than the factory 21″ Turbine option, the factory firmware can be recalibrated by a Tesla Service Center upon request. You are not required to utilize 21″ wheels with this product, but regardless of wheel / tire choice, the 21″ firmware calibration is required.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
Unplugged Performance requires 21 inch wheel setting when you install their lowering brackets. I have no idea why, but it must do something!

PLEASE NOTE: For use with Model S vehicles factory-equipped with air suspension only. To install on your Model S, you must have the 21″ wheel / tire calibration (if your vehicle was factory equipped with the 21″ Turbine wheels, this is by default). For vehicles that were originally equipped with wheels other than the factory 21″ Turbine option, the factory firmware can be recalibrated by a Tesla Service Center upon request. You are not required to utilize 21″ wheels with this product, but regardless of wheel / tire choice, the 21″ firmware calibration is required.

That sounds like SAS calibration, not avatar wheel setting. My P85+ has 21" staggered wheels and the service center was the only place I could swap to my winter 19" because they had to recalibrate the air suspension. Apparently one can use lowering links now instead, but I sold that car so I stopped paying attention to that.

Here's my experience.

I swap 19 and 21 for winter/summer use. Prior to the recent update that included wheel configuration mode the car just figured it out after about 5 miles of driving. MCU popup states new wheels detected and pre-selected 19 or 21 inch as what it figured out. Confirm with an OK.

Now with configuration mode the popup just indicates new wheels with no size selection. Just an OK there. Later I go in and change the wheel configuration as appropriate. It changes the avatar but it appears nothing else. Indicated speed checked against a hand held GPS gets corrected when the popup shows up. BTW, my indicated speed is always high by 1 MPH at 35 MPH. (36 indicated is really 35).

245/35-21 does 727 revs per mile and 245/45-19 does 729. So within 0.4%. Of course, they have different TPMS units in them and the car is responding to that. But it used to also figure out wheel diameter and give me a choice. Now I have to do it manually after the car finds the new TPMS. I'll go with calibrating navigation as a possible use of configuring the wheel size. To answer the OP, the diameter is so close that there would be no reason for the car to change the ride height.

Reactions: Ludalicious

There’s a slight difference.

On the 21” setting with UP links, OEM-like on low the height is 28.5” ground to fender all around. On the 19” setting there’s a little variation, 28,75” on the right, 28.5” on the left.

I found out when I swapped wheels and reset the menu by accident. Not enough to make a difference however, feels the same.