Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have M3P with stock 20's and just Installed a set of 19"x9" rims with 255/40 19 tires. The overall diameter of the 19" tires are about half an inch bigger then the OEM 20" tires, do I have to change the configuration from 20" to 19" or just leave it as 20" since the the overall diameter of the 19" tires is half inch bigger.

Thanks to everyone who have experience on this!

Did you feel any inaccuracy with the speed odometer, battery range etc.?
I solely use the trip % on long trips. The rest of the time, I don't care. I find that graph to be quite accurate and much easier to develop a 'feel' for what to expect relative to your driving style & conditions. If you're asking if the literal mileage estimate is accurate - I believe the answer is generally no. Anything above 70 mph on the highway is going to kill your range faster than "regular" driving. On the flip side of the coin, if you're averaging like 30 MPH I think you're going to get way more than the advertised range.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I solely use the trip % on long trips. The rest of the time, I don't care. I find that graph to be quite accurate and much easier to develop a 'feel' for what to expect relative to your driving style & conditions. If you're asking if the literal mileage estimate is accurate - I believe the answer is generally no. Anything above 70 mph on the highway is going to kill your range faster than "regular" driving. On the flip side of the coin, if you're averaging like 30 MPH I think you're going to get way more than the advertised range.

I see.
So means the solely purpose of changing the configuration is just providing the correct spec to help the system reflecting most accurate reading/info? These configuration changes on what size wheel or tire being use have nothing to do with how the system compute to delivery powers correct?

I see.
So means the solely purpose of changing the configuration is just providing the correct spec to help the system reflecting most accurate reading/info? These configuration changes on what size wheel or tire being use have nothing to do with how the system compute to delivery powers correct?
I think so. Someone more anal than I could probably answer that question better, but I think when I changed my configuration to 20" Performance wheels, the range was "adjusted."

I run 245/40R19, which are as close as they come to the OEM 20" tire's rolling diameter. I had initially set it up for 19's, but now have it at 20's. The car does detect the difference, though, when I put on the 18" all seasons for road trips. So there is something other than rolling diameter it detects (and this is beyond just the TPMS sensors, which it ntes, too).

Reactions: kitlau3438
Curious what offset and what make/brand of tires are you running?
255/40/19 with stock offset might rub on suspension.
No rubbing issue since I did installed the Mountain Pass performance sport coilovers and MPP rear camber arm, with a set Signature performance SV104 wheels with 19x9 ET30 on the front and ET21 offset on the back + alignment afterward.

Tires I uses same as factory M3P Michellin Pilot Sport 4S 255/40 19
I have the car lowered to about 1.25" fender/tire gap in the front and half an inch in the rear. so far no rubbing on any condition at all and the MPP sport coils are surprisingly comfortable.
IMG_1149.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg

I run 245/40R19, which are as close as they come to the OEM 20" tire's rolling diameter. I had initially set it up for 19's, but now have it at 20's. The car does detect the difference, though, when I put on the 18" all seasons for road trips. So there is something other than rolling diameter it detects (and this is beyond just the TPMS sensors, which it ntes, too).
Do you feel it's better to keep the configuration at 20" with the 245/40R19 setup?
With my setup 255/40R19 also really close to the factory 20" diameter and I kept it with 20" configuration. However, I felt the car is slower on 0-60 launching...

No rubbing issue since I did installed the Mountain Pass performance sport coilovers and MPP rear camber arm, with a set Signature performance SV104 wheels with 19x9 ET30 on the front and ET21 offset on the back + alignment afterward.

Tires I uses same as factory M3P Michellin Pilot Sport 4S 255/40 19
I have the car lowered to about 1.25" fender/tire gap in the front and half an inch in the rear. so far no rubbing on any condition at all and the MPP sport coils are surprisingly comfortable.View attachment 618275 View attachment 618276 View attachment 618277 View attachment 618278
View attachment 618275
View attachment 618276 View attachment 618277 View attachment 618278
Any significant Noise/Vibration/Harshness change with the coilovers installed?

Any significant Noise/Vibration/Harshness change with the coilovers installed?
Not at all. In Fact, its smoother than stock and that's the surprising part.
These sport coilovers are awesome! I had it set up as MPP suggested (suitable for street) and so far run extremely smooth all around town. I live in New York city, notorious for terrible road condition, but the MPP sport coils takes bumps and potholes even better then stock and at high speed definitely feels much more stable and in control. I have the car lowered to about 1.25" fender/tire gap in the front and half an inch in the rear. so far no rubbing on any condition at all.
With my pervious cars I had Tein and Ohlins, I felt the MPP x KW coilovers is better.

Not at all. In Fact, its smoother than stock and that's the surprising part.
These sport coilovers are awesome! I had it set up as MPP suggested (suitable for street) and so far run extremely smooth all around town. I live in New York city, notorious for terrible road condition, but the MPP sport coils takes bumps and potholes even better then stock and at high speed definitely feels much more stable and in control. I have the car lowered to about 1.25" fender/tire gap in the front and half an inch in the rear. so far no rubbing on any condition at all.
With my pervious cars I had Tein and Ohlins, I felt the MPP x KW coilovers is better.
That is great to hear. And as a former NYer who is always back there visiting, that is quite a statement on how well they handle those roads! I used to live in Greenwich Village, then down in Battery Park City. My daughters live back there now. One in the Village and one in Park Slope.

Reactions: kitlau3438
That is great to hear. And as a former NYer who is always back there visiting, that is quite a statement on how well they handle those roads! I used to live in Greenwich Village, then down in Battery Park City. My daughters live back there now. One in the Village and one in Park Slope.
Yes. If you're from that area you already know, Houston St. was undrivable before the construction completed. I bet the roads in Cali are quite decent and you would never missed the roads in NYC

Reactions: jmbloom_m3p