Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Configuration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, yes and there may be a slight adjustment in the range when you switch between wheels since it does require a reboot. The Gemini setup should yield slightly more range because they are a few pounds lighter in heft. Nothing happens to the car if you leave it in the 19" setting since the overall diameter of the wheel/tire remain the same.

What would you do if you switch from 19” to 20”, but them 20” is 5-10 lighter than
When you go from 19 to 20 you are adding a heavier tire. Same if you stay at 19s but go with a wider tire. You have to weigh both with balanced weights to understand what you actually save going from one config to another.

There is nothing to do when you go from 19-20 other than enjoy your rims and if you do it right, you will feel some acceleration increase.

What would you do if you switch from 19” to 20”, but them 20” is 5-10 lighter than 19s?

you go from 19 to 20 you are adding a heavier tire. Same if you stay at 19s but go with a wider tire. You have to weigh both with balanced weights to understand what you actually save going from one config to another.

There is nothing to do when you go from 19-20 other than enjoy your rims and if you do it right, you will feel some acceleration increase.

I just checked TireRack for the oem stock tires weight. TR have the Continentals that comes with the Gemini's listed at 25.88lbs. and the Goodyear's that comes with the Induction at 25.26lbs. I believe tire diameter is the same. But sidewall height is different between 255/45/19 vs 255/40/20. 19's having more rubber?

The wheels I bought is about 4.55lbs lighter than the Inductions and 1.6lbs lighter than the Geminis. If I calculated it right. My 20" aftermarkets setup with oem Goodyear's at about 53.26lbs vs the 19" Geminis with Continentals at 55.48lbs. My new setup should be about 2.22lbs. lighter than the oem Gemini's.

If I switch my wheel configuration to 20" inductions does the car range recalibrate to Induction specs? Even tho my aftermarket setup is closer to Gemini specs?

AFAIK there is no difference between the 'EPA' range (what the car shows if you set the battery display to distance) for 19" or 20" wheels. That display does not change based on how efficient you are driving, it's just fixed taking into account remaining battery capacity and EPA range.

And even if there was, it means absolutely nothing. Real range is influenced by so many factors, as speed, tire rolling resistance, heavy foot etc. Slightly lighter or heavier wheels only might have some effect in local driving (frequent start and stops).

I believe the car only changes the expected range when going from the 21” Ubertines, to anything smaller. It won’t do anything for 20s to 19s. Not saying doing so won’t help in the real world going to a lighter set up. The car just won’t do anything about it in the UI.