Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

richieyim

M3 LR AWD, White, 18" Aero Wheels, No FSD, OD: 6/9
Jul 13, 2021
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey all! I had a question regarding aftermarket wheels. I have a 21’ M3 LR with the original 18” wheels. I switched to some aftermarket 19” wheels with a little wider setup for the tires (245 mm compared to the original 235 mm). I notice that my range tanked when I was driving with the new aftermarket wheels. I know that it would and it depends on the wheels etc. etc., but my question is, is it worth it to change the wheel configuration in the MCU to reflect a 19 inch wheel (i currently have it set to the 18 inch OEM wheels w/ out hubcaps on)? Does it truly change anything or should I just leave it as is? Thanks!

Is there a reason NOT to? It costs you nothing to do the experiment.

BTW, what are the actual specs on the tire you've installed. The 'normal' 19" tire is 235/40R19, which would rotate very slightly LESS often for the same distance as the stock 235/45R18. If you had installed 245/45R19, that difference would become 5.3% and would therefore become noticeable. The speedometer/odometer would read less than the actual miles being traversed.

How about the wheel width on your aftermarket wheels? If the new wheel/tire combination is causing more sidewall flex, you'll find that's where some of your efficiency has gone.

Upvote 0
Hey all! I had a question regarding aftermarket wheels. I have a 21’ M3 LR with the original 18” wheels. I switched to some aftermarket 19” wheels with a little wider setup for the tires (245 mm compared to the original 235 mm). I notice that my range tanked when I was driving with the new aftermarket wheels. I know that it would and it depends on the wheels etc. etc., but my question is, is it worth it to change the wheel configuration in the MCU to reflect a 19 inch wheel (i currently have it set to the 18 inch OEM wheels w/ out hubcaps on)? Does it truly change anything or should I just leave it as is? Thanks!

1. Your range changed because of the tires being wider, and likely because of the tire having higher rolling resistance, not because of the wheel itself. Likely outer diameter is also bigger now meaning your odometer is off so your range may not be as bad as you think.

2. Yes switching to the 19" or 20" wheel configuration will likely make estimate ranged closer to your new real range.

Upvote 0
Is there a reason NOT to? It costs you nothing to do the experiment.

BTW, what are the actual specs on the tire you've installed. The 'normal' 19" tire is 235/40R19, which would rotate very slightly LESS often for the same distance as the stock 235/45R18. If you had installed 245/45R19, that difference would become 5.3% and would therefore become noticeable. The speedometer/odometer would read less than the actual miles being traversed.

How about the wheel width on your aftermarket wheels? If the new wheel/tire combination is causing more sidewall flex, you'll find that's where some of your efficiency has gone.
They are Rotiform KB1 19x8.5 and the tires are 245/40R19

Upvote 0
1. Your range changed because of the tires being wider, and likely because of the tire having higher rolling resistance, not because of the wheel itself.
Don't dismiss that. It is both of those factors. Larger diameter rims, with more metal and less rubber around them, make a bumpier ride, the impacts of which go into hits against the momentum and efficiency of movement. So yes, those "rubber band" tires on big rims are bad for efficiency, and smaller diameter rims with larger tires around them are smoother and better for efficiency. The tire width does contribute also.

Reactions: richieyim
Upvote 0
1) Personal I recommend you to change the wheel config on the screen to match your current after market wheels. Because the car do calculate your estimated and rated range correctly.

2) With a wider tire it does affect your range. Because of your tires stick out just a tiny more it can affect the rolling resistance when in motion.

Upvote 0
Wheel face aerodynamics are pretty intuitive. Those Rotiforms look like they are contributing to your increased consumption, along with your tire compound and size choices. It is just the name of the game with EVs, and most of us are happy to deal with the compromise to have wheels and tires that perform the way we want.
Exactly. So you need to choose you Aftermarket rim and tires or Every KM/MILES you can get.

Upvote 0