Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Covering Noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a grind/crackling plastic noise coming from their wheel coverings?

Had Tesla service out the other day to look at the Frunk and mentioned it to him. He popped off the covering, could not find anything, but confirmed hearing it and said it was definitely strange. He said he was going to put it into the service system and see if there was service notes about it.

I cut a piece of heavy cloth and placed it behind the covering to 'pop' the covering out a little bit. The cloth did dampen the noise (I removed the cloth after my backyard engineering project).

Would like to figure out what the noise is...it is not a huge deal but it is annoying....there are a million cars with wheel coverings that you do not hear grinding from.

More here at this thread: Gemini Wheel Cover plastic noise
If you notice there are small tabs that rub the rim of the wheel. I’ve removed mine for now.
@SparkyTX Digging up this old thread, now that it's been almost a year since you've removed the small tabs on your wheel covers that caused the noise, have you experienced any adverse effect of doing so? Any fitment issues with the cover, or anything else?