Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel curb rash repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t buy a kit I meant that you could get the individual pieces of the kit for far less. I got the paint and sanding supplies at Lowe’s for around $12, here is the paint I used:
Matte Black Spray Paint (NET WT. 12-oz) https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Matte-Black-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-12-oz/50449048
It’s a pretty good match for the 20 inch induction wheels I don’t know if the 21s are the same finish. The kit you linked appeared to only include paint, a sanding block, and several different grit sandpapers; I didn’t see anything new and innovative that they were offering. I’ve tried a couple of different touch up methods and I had more luck taping off the vehicle and spray painting than using a brush. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube the show different ways to do it.

I don't think 39 bucks is all that bad for a better matching paint and all supplies needed especially on an expensive car. I wouldn't call it a "rash" decision. ;)
I tend to agree.

I got the Zink kit (thanks to the OP for the link!) for two curb rashes I had on my MYLR Gemini wheels. It worked great! The repairs are near invisible unless I get on my knees and look up close.

Sure, I could have gone to Home Depot and bought the parts for less, but the convenience was worth the price for me. If you want to save a few bucks there are plenty of YouTube videos you can watch. The main issue is finding a paint that matches the rims, and the Zink paint was near perfect. The YouTube videos make suggestions as well. The sanding tool that comes with the Zink kit was very nice too, and its small size helped make the job easier. It only took me about 30 minutes to do the two repairs, and now that I've done it I could do it faster next time. It does help to do a few coats, but at least the paint dried very quickly on the sunny day I made the repairs. I just painted one rash, then applied a coat to the other rash. By then the first rash was dry enough to repeat the process.

You probably don't need to remove the hubcaps, but you could scratch them with the sanding if you aren't careful. I took them off the two wheels I worked on and they were super easy to remove and put back on.

Reactions: ZinkWheels
with 600 grit, it comes out quite nice, used 1200 afterward and the scratch is not visible anymore. Now need to buy some matching paint

grind.jpg

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Confirmed. Rust-Oleum "Carbon Mist" which was discontinued last year was suggested from some members here claiming that the color matches almost exactly.
BUT, not even close. I paid almost twice much to get one after long search and hassle, but it is not even close.
So, don't buy that one (it is almost impossible to find anyway).
$40 Tsportline "Gunpowder Grey" matches 99% by the way, but you have to use the airbrush in order to blend it with the rest of the wheel. regular brush application will result in the picture above type result. :cool:

Dev007,
Do you have a fees pics of the entire wheel with the rim protector? I just scratched my rim on my brand new M3P and it’s driving me crazy. Thanks.
I understand how you feel. Especially when it is brand new. Here is how it looks on mine. I guess I could have done it a little better but oh well…

Attachments

• 96AC7775-4974-4BC7-A130-A80CF64CC87C.jpeg
    96AC7775-4974-4BC7-A130-A80CF64CC87C.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 368
Reactions: JetDriver05
Alternatively, you can use something like a rim blade to cover/protect the rim. They can be a little pricey but gives you a peace of mind. It protected mine a few times. It matches the Uberturbine rim pretty well.
.View attachment 828457
FYI, rim blades are a waste of money as they only cover up a rash. It won't prevent a rash and often they will snap when curbed and scratch up your fenders, etc. It's happened to a few on here.

That said I fixed our rashes with spray paint. You can see the pics in thread below.

FYI, rim blades are a waste of money as they only cover up a rash. It won't prevent a rash and often they will snap when curbed and scratch up your fenders, etc. It's happened to a few on here.

That said I fixed our rashes with spray paint. You can see the pics in thread below.

I couldn't agree more on that so called "rim protector". When 4500 lbs car pushes its weight on the wheels to the curb, nothing plastic will protect your wheels.
Also, I tried "Carbon Mist" spray after intensive search (they are discontinued) for $20, I can confirm that they are about 60% match. They are way lighter and very noticeable when applied.
If you want the best match, either go with one of these and apply with the air brush.
1658873912723.png

I couldn't agree more on that so called "rim protector". When 4500 lbs car pushes its weight on the wheels to the curb, nothing plastic will protect your wheels.
Also, I tried "Carbon Mist" spray after intensive search (they are discontinued) for $20, I can confirm that they are about 60% match. They are way lighter and very noticeable when applied.
If you want the best match, either go with one of these and apply with the air brush.
View attachment 833135
Fixed some rash, about 4" long. Filed area, wet sanded and brushed on a metallic color I mixed for 3 cans of silver metallic in spray cans, some darker than others. I can find the spot on the rims but from 2' away not noticeable. Satisfied. Thanks for the two touch up paints shown above...wish I had those before buying full sized spray cans and mixing my own color.