Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel dimensions confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a MYP and want to get 19” wheels that are 8.5” wide. I’d like to run 255/45/19 tires. I’m looking at the Enkei TFR 19” 8.5 w/35 offset.

Since the wheel is 8.5” instead of the OEM 9.5”, does this mean that with the same offset the new wheel will be 1/2” further inside the wheel well?

To keep the same flush level would I need to have an offset of 15mm or else add a spacer?

Have a MYP and want to get 19” wheels that are 8.5” wide. I’d like to run 255/45/19 tires. I’m looking at the Enkei TFR 19” 8.5 w/35 offset.

Since the wheel is 8.5” instead of the OEM 9.5”, does this mean that with the same offset the new wheel will be 1/2” further inside the wheel well?

To keep the same flush level would I need to have an offset of 15mm or else add a spacer?
You can use this calculator. It says says if you go from a 9.5"/35mm wheel to a 8.5"/35mm wheel, the outside of the wheel will be tucked in by 13mm compared to the 9.5" wheel. If you want the fit to be identical, you'll need a 8.5" wheel with a 22mm offset.

Reactions: Zalick
For clarity—OEM MYP (front) wheel is 9.5 et45 so….going to 8.5 et35 creates virtually no difference (3mm).
C0EC6F44-63D2-4242-9827-0D712B9D5644.jpeg

Reactions: Zalick
You can use this calculator. It says says if you go from a 9.5"/35mm wheel to a 8.5"/35mm wheel, the outside of the wheel will be tucked in by 13mm compared to the 9.5" wheel. If you want the fit to be identical, you'll need a 8.5" wheel with a 22mm offset.
Sorry if I just dont know what Im talking about here, still learning. But using that calculator tool, it does not account for tire width. So for instance, if I go from a (255 tire) 19 x 9.5" +40mm to a 19 x 9.5" +45mm, the wheel is now exposed/sticking out 5mm more I think.

But if I change the tire to a 275 tire instead of a 255, I now gain 10mm of horizontal wheel protection from the tire.
So that is a +5M offset -10MM tire= 5mm net gain in curb rash protection for the wheel right? Is that correct in theory?

Sorry if I just dont know what Im talking about here, still learning. But using that calculator tool, it does not account for tire width. So for instance, if I go from a (255 tire) 19 x 9.5" +40mm to a 19 x 9.5" +45mm, the wheel is now exposed/sticking out 5mm more I think.

But if I change the tire to a 275 tire instead of a 255, I now gain 10mm of horizontal wheel protection from the tire.
So that is a +5M offset -10MM tire= 5mm net gain in curb rash protection for the wheel right? Is that correct in theory?
Regardless which tire size you go with, it's best to go with the optimum offset for the wheel for your car. For tire width, it's best to go with the optimum tire width for a given wheel width. So yes, for a 9.5" wide wheel, that would be 275. But don't change the offset just based on tire width, unless you have clearance issues.. Most people that play with offsets, are doing so to make the wheel/tire more flush with the fenders, so they don't look tucked.