TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

wheel fitment question

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by FlyYellow, Mar 21, 2013.

1. FlyYellow

FlyYellow Member

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The order of things to worry about are:

1. Offset. Any offset that moves the centreline of the tire puts additional stress on the wheel bearings. And there could be clearance problems.

2. Centre bore. The wheel is centred on the centre bore, not on the bolt circle. You can get centering rings, but I wouldn't use one on my car--even if it was a Yugo. However I believe you have the performance version, so the tires aren't going to last particularly long anyway--perhaps you'll never notice a problem.

3. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Those wheels won't fit because the offset is +22mm. Also the width of the wheels is too wide. You'll most likely rub in the front and the rear.

4. FlyYellow

FlyYellow Member

what is the factory 21" offset and width of the OEM wheels?

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

+40 offset for both 19" and 21".

19's are 8" width, 21's are 8.5" width.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Besides the aforementioned offset, you also need to know bolt placement and whether the rims are lug-centric or hub-centric in order to come up with a correct answer. Jerry's #2 (centre-bore) response is the other way to state the latter (he wrote they're hub-centric).