TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wheel Fitment

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by mrm 930, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mrm 930

mrm 930 New Member

Does anyone know the wheel fitment specs to the Model S (performance)? I have one on order and would like to order a set of HRE wheels.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. mrm 930

mrm 930 New Member

Does anyone know the specs for the 21" performance wheel package on the model S? I would like to order a set of HRE wheels, but need to know the fitment sizes.

Thanks,
    Mark

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

There have been a number of posts on this. If you had done a search you would have found this:

Bolt pattern: 5 x 120
    Offset: +40mm
    Center bore: 64mm

4. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Here's the thread referred to by artsci (I believe), NJS1207 seems to have really done his homework on this subject. Jerry33, who seems to be (imho, and don't want to put words in his mouth) a good "go to guy" on tire/wheel issues seems to agree that NJS1207's wheel and lugnut combo will work. They also look awesome in the pics.

19 Turbine Wheel Solution

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm neutral on the subject (I don't know anything technically either bad or good) because I have no first hand experience. However, if the offset, centre bore, and bolt circle are correct, and the supplied nuts have enough surface area to take the cornering forces, then those wheels should be fine (and they do match the turbine look of the 21" wheels). If you are a belt and suspenders type of person, the thing to do would be to contact the wheel manufacturer for an opinion.

6. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

Regarding the lug nuts. Tire Rack included a set of Gorilla spline lug nuts (14mm x 1.50) and a thin wall socket with my winter wheel and tire package. Part number 26148HT.
    These were for O.Z. wheels, but probably work with any aftermarket wheels. Haven't compared these to the stock lugs since I don't have my car yet.

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Funny you should want HRE wheels. The sales rep for HRE happened to see my car at the Motor4Toys charity event a few weeks ago and asked if they could measure my car and make a custom set of wheels for the S and do a photo shoot. They came and measured my wheels and car last Tuesday and said they will have the wheels ready in January or February. I'll post the pictures and info when they do it.

8. bonehead

bonehead Member

Dr. Computer, was wondering if you had any info to help me out. I had this question on a different thread, but I think this thread may be more appropriate...

If I want to go with a staggered fitment with aftermarket wheels, does anyone know if 10" for the rear is TOO wide (rubbing issues, etc)? I'm going 20x8.5 for the front with 245/40/20's. I was considering 265 or 275 for the rears and looks like the majority of 20" wheels come in 8.5" and 10" widths. My "wheel guy" asked me to measure the well, but alas, I have no car yet to do so!

9. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Gotchya. My understanding (I may have gotten it wrong) is that NJS1207 is already driving on them. If so I'm awaiting frequent updates from our guinea pig.:smile:

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

11. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

You're welcome to e-mail Patrick Moran at HRE wheels and ask them about the measurements they took. I didn't get a copy of them. [email protected]

12. bonehead

bonehead Member

#12 bonehead, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    will do. thanks, DrComputer!

FYI...
    Patrick got back to me promptly. He has recommended not going wider than 9.5"