Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Hop on P85 RWD Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experience "wheel hop" when accelerating? I never had this problem. I was told it is due to my suspension getting old and worn out (115K miles, original parts) and that determines wheel hop.
I've never heard of a suspension wearing out at 115,000 miles. If that's what Tesla is claiming, I would never buy another Tesla and would advise everyone I know to steer clear of Tesla junk. I just don't think the service center is being honest with you. They are notorious liars.

Anyone experience "wheel hop" when accelerating? I never had this problem. I was told it is due to my suspension getting old and worn out (115K miles, original parts) and that determines wheel hop.
I’ve always had something like that on my early 2014 P85 (air suspension, 90K) at low speed when there’s unevenness on the road like speed bumps or really bad tar jobs - seems like the tires are being unweighted just enough for the torque to jerk the wheels a bit. I usually just mentally shrug my shoulders and think “she’s a torque-y beast...”

Reactions: besnova
I've never heard of a suspension wearing out at 115,000 miles. If that's what Tesla is claiming, I would never buy another Tesla and would advise everyone I know to steer clear of Tesla junk. I just don't think the service center is being honest with you. They are notorious liars.

Really? Suspension parts can fail just like any other part, though it is good for people to do their own investigation if the SC is just throwing parts at the problem without any real diagnosis. It'd be best to check for any fluid leaks along the damper to be sure. At 115k, none of the components on the car are spring chickens.

Unrelated vehicle, but the shocks on first gen Miatas are notorious for wearing out before you get to 60k.

Bushings are also part of the suspension and can also cause wheel hop if they start to fail. This page has some other suggestions about what causes wheel hop:

Wheel Hop - Causes, Effects and Cures - NASA Speed News Magazine

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: besnova and byeLT4
So basically if I turn off traction control obviously I’d just do a whole burn out but while traction control is on this happens the wheel hop. It obviously happens more on wet roads because it’s harder to get traction. But on dry roads it’s been doing it normally on lower speeds because it’s much more likely to spin out and activate traction control then. I never had this issue before through when flooring it. So it could be wear of the suspension not keeping the wheels down enough. I don’t know I just feel a bit weak and flimsy with my car now I don’t know if it’s placebo lol but I feel like it’s getting messed up and already there. Although it still rides well and with 115k miles you know it should not be like new but I was just wondering if anyone had this issue.

i read about the Miata which is why I posted here thinking maybe the electric torque + 5,000 lbs would make it an issue on my car too. Not that many RWD in this form anyway. I was looking to sell the car and go into a CPO 100D and call it a day but not sure how much I would get for it. Still owe 25k on it.

So I did my tire rotation and the wheel hop is a bit less now. Also the weather is warmer so there's more grip on the tires. It could just be that the tires with less thread and the cold weather/rubber being hard and not being able to stick to the ground causes the wheels to slip more easily and the wheel hop to happen more easily.