TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wheel lock set

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Kalud, May 12, 2015.

1. Kalud

Kalud Member

Just saw this, wonder if its new or been there for a while ?

Anyone getting this, for the price I think its a good idea.

Tesla Gear Shop Wheel Lock Set

Wheel_Locks_1024x1024.jpg

2. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

considering I have it on my Dec 2012 production Model S, and the service center installed them for me at delivery, it's been around for a long time.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I have very mixed feelings about wheel locks after I stripped the wheel lock key on my current car. After some googling/youtubing, I got a socket and hammer, and removed the remaining 3 wheel locks [with no key] in 5 minutes.

Might be more difficult with Tesla's crazy torque requirements, but probably still doable...

4. linkster

linkster Member

Nope. Still easily doable.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Right. Still pretty easy. These are just you're run-of-the-mill McGard locks in a Tesla package. Many shops keep an entire set of keys for these locks, which gives you some idea how easy it is to get the keys. If you don't have the keys, just hammer on a socket as suggested. These will deter only the most casual of wheel thieves.

I lost my key on a previous car. The shop had also lost the exact same key I needed so they just used the hammer and socket trick. It took so little time they didn't even charge any labor, just $10 to replace their socket. I suggested they replace their missing key. :biggrin:

6. caps04

caps04 Member

So not worth it?

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

These kind of remind me of the old "Club" steering wheel lock. I was at a mall or trade show where it was being demonstrated on a mocked up dashboard. The rep had a bunch of tools laid out (hack saw, tin snips, hammer etc) and challenged anyone from the audience to come up and try to get it off the steering wheel. One guy went up, grabbed the tin snips, cut through the steering wheel itself and pulled the gap open enough to slip the still locked Club right off. It was hilarious. Steering wheels are by design kind of weak so that they will bend and not cause injury in a serious accident. Basically just rubber over a coat hanger sized wire frame.

8. Max*

Think of it as a door lock. Would a good lock deter a thief that is determined to rob your particular house? Probably not. Would it deter a thief who's looking to rob any house? Sure, they'll go for the one with the easier to pick lock/window to smash.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Similar in concept to two-way vs. one-way deadbolts on a door with a window (or window trim around the door frame). The deadbolt may be super high-end, but if it's one-way, the burglar could just break the window and turn the knob from the inside (or if the window is big enough, come in through there).

10. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

11. Max*

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

13. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I wouldn't waste your time. If I have the tools to remove your tires, I have the tools to remove a silly lock like this...

Locks keep honest people honest. If someone wants your wheels, maybe a Dash Cam is the best defense.

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Or maybe my standard stock 19s are enough of a deterrent!

15. musicious

musicious Member

I got wheel locks because one time while parked at a hotel with a gas station right across the street (thinking with cameras there and in plain sight it would be safe), the wheels of our loaner Tesla were all stolen overnight... even a small deterrent is better than nothing! A thief is more likely to rob a house with no security alarm than a house with signs that mention security, sure they can still get in if they are good but there are plenty of others to choose from.

I also have seen criminals at my own work parking lot go around cutting off valuable pieces of the undercarriage of ICE cars (e.g. catalytic converters that contain platinum) to salvage the metal for a few hundred (which then costs thousands to replace), I am so glad I don't have to worry about that.

16. Terra117

Terra117 Member

17. neptune2000

i will be getting the 21in Grey Turbine. If I want the locks, should I get the black instead of the chrome?

18. sickfox

sickfox Member

+1

You cannot stop someone who is absolutely determined to steal your wheels, regardless of any locks you use.