Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Locks for the Model S - anyone doen this or have an opinion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually bought five sets of these Gorilla locks for my other car almost ten years ago. i put one set on each wheel, and then the fifth set gets distributed among all four wheels (five locks per wheel). I was super-paranoid. But after trying to explain my locking system to the technicians at the local tire shop, they refused to spend the time to deal with it so I ended-up only using one set eventually. Too much hassle having to guess which key goes with which wheel. To my knowledge, no one has tried to steal my wheels, so I'm not sure if they work or not as a deterrent.
Does Gorilla have an option to buy a 20-pack that uses a common lock?

Does Gorilla have an option to buy a 20-pack that uses a common lock?

Yes, Gorilla sells what they call "The System" which are 20, 24, or more locks all keyed identically. The best place to see it is to go to their web site and download the catalog. This is what I used for my new wheels. If you enlarge the last photo in bottom left at Musterion's New Staggered Ride (20 wheels + XPEL wrap + Opticoat + Alignment) you will see each lug nut has a "G" on it which signifies a lock rather than standard spline. Of course all locks can be defeated but having more may slow down the typical hacks. Ken's 5 keys sounds crazy though. I bought 24 keyed alike so I have some spares. Tesla has happily used my single key when needing to remove and reinstall wheels for some service items.

Brianman,

Are you sure about the second reference?
Personally, I would go for the "71643N" which is meant for 5 lug wheels...

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/the-system-page-02

Am I wrong or...?

Are you sure about the second reference?
Personally, I would go for the "71643N" which is meant for 5 lug wheels...
Not sure at all. I was mostly looking at ballpark pricing rather than the specific flavor.

Looking again...

I think I happened across the original link first and figured "24 gives me a few extra which is probably a good thing".

But it seems you can save $9 going for the 20:
Gorilla Automotive 71643N Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels : Amazon.com : Automotive

The 22% more $ for 20% more product is not exhorbitant, and you get the benefit of having them keyed the same so you have 4 true replacements if you bust some -- whereas if you bust one in the 20 set you have to replace the whole set or get used to tracking multiple keys.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Does anyone here know where I can buy the following wheel locks in Europe (webshop) ?

- Gorilla Automotive 61641 Acorn Guard Locks (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Set of 4
- Gorilla Automotive 71644N "The System" Acorn Wheel Locks (14mm x 1.50" Thread Size) - For 6 Lug Wheels

These would cost me 48€ (65$) on Amazon.com without shipping costs and import fees but 135,03€ (184$) at the end... :frown:

Thanks for your help!

Xavier

Hi all,

Does anyone here know where I can buy the following wheel locks in Europe (webshop) ?

- Gorilla Automotive 61641 Acorn Guard Locks (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Set of 4
- Gorilla Automotive 71644N "The System" Acorn Wheel Locks (14mm x 1.50" Thread Size) - For 6 Lug Wheels

These would cost me 48€ (65$) on Amazon.com without shipping costs and import fees but 135,03€ (184$) at the end... :frown:

Thanks for your help!

Xavier

You realize you are looking at two different products here. The 71644N are the Original Gorilla locks with external security pattern and the 61641 is a Gorilla Guard device with a free-spinning sleeve like Chris TX showed in the photos.

Gary

You realize you are looking at two different products here. The 71644N are the Original Gorilla locks with external security pattern and the 61641 is a Gorilla Guard device with a free-spinning sleeve like Chris TX showed in the photos.

Gary
Hi Gary,

I actually want to replace all of the standard Tesla lugs.
As there are 5 lugs to replace by wheel, I was thinking about 4 Original Gorilla locks with external security pattern and 1 Gorilla Guard device with a free-spinning sleeve.
This way, my new wheels should be safe, I hope :biggrin:

Hi Gary,

I actually want to replace all of the standard Tesla lugs.
As there are 5 lugs to replace by wheel, I was thinking about 4 Original Gorilla locks with external security pattern and 1 Gorilla Guard device with a free-spinning sleeve.
This way, my new wheels should be safe, I hope :biggrin:

Why not just get one set of Gorilla Guards? If you're worries about wheel theft, if they get get the GG's off, there's a very good chance they can easily take the rest of them off. Anything past one set of GG's (one per wheel) is overkill, in my opinion.

Why not just get one set of Gorilla Guards? If you're worries about wheel theft, if they get get the GG's off, there's a very good chance they can easily take the rest of them off. Anything past one set of GG's (one per wheel) is overkill, in my opinion.

That's pretty much it. Wheel locks don't stop professional thieves, they might stop some teenagers but that's about it. The best you can hope for is that there will be other cars of the same kind that don't have locks so they will skip yours and go for the easiest target.

That's pretty much it. Wheel locks don't stop professional thieves, they might stop some teenagers but that's about it. The best you can hope for is that there will be other cars of the same kind that don't have locks so they will skip yours and go for the easiest target.

I understand you think it is overkill...
The thing is that I want to protect my new set of wheels which cost much more than those Gorilla locks...
I don't want to take a risk and as no 100% safe solution exists... :crying:

WARNING: I purchased the Gorilla Wheel Locks recommended from here. It was installed by my Tesla service center. Today they are saying that the wheel locks have caused my rotor to be warped because the tire wasn't secured correctly. They are saying they don't install aftermarket equipment, but I do remember having them do it and they gave me everything back. They are trying to see if there is any record of them doing the wheel locks.

So just my warning the Gorilla ones recommended on this site have created issues for me now.

There is no reason why these lug nuts would cause a problem with anything on the car if they are torqued correctly (ftlbs and pattern). The Service Center in here in Dallas has had no issues with mine and happily removed and replaced wheels with them. If the wheel wasn't secured correctly, that would be the responsibility of the person tightening the lug nuts.

WARNING: I purchased the Gorilla Wheel Locks recommended from here. It was installed by my Tesla service center. Today they are saying that the wheel locks have caused my rotor to be warped because the tire wasn't secured correctly. They are saying they don't install aftermarket equipment, but I do remember having them do it and they gave me everything back. They are trying to see if there is any record of them doing the wheel locks.

So just my warning the Gorilla ones recommended on this site have created issues for me now.

If you want to purchase the Gorilla wheel locks in this thread, you need to be very careful which Gorilla locks you get. Gorilla makes five different wheel lock designs:

1. Original Gorilla Locks: These are external security pattern lug nuts. The standard Acorn style in 14x1.5 mm (71641N) is not recommended for the Model S. These lug nuts are only 1.40" long, which is shorter than the factory lug nuts. This causes the lug nut to seat on the end of the stud rather than apply pressure to the wheel at the cone face. This will cause uneven wheel/rotor forces, possibly causing warping, and can gall the threads at the end of the stud.

If you want to use this style, you can use the Duplex Acorn style in 14x1.5mm (76641N), but they are 2.20" long and will stick out.

2. Gorilla X2 locks: These are external security pattern with two stages, a free-spinning top section and the main bottom section. I have not tried these, but they are longer than the original Gorilla Locks at 1.55". In 14x1.5mm, they are part number 71641X. I may order a set of these to get some measurements to make sure they will clear the stud and seat on the cone face.

3. Gorilla "The System" Locks: These are an entire set of the Original Gorilla Locks where instead of one external security pattern lug nut per wheel, all 5 lug nuts on each wheel use an external security pattern and require the key. These in 14x1.5mm (71643N) have the same problem as the original gorilla locks -- they are too short at 1.40", and as such are not recommended.

4. Gorilla Guard II Locks: These are a slightly redesigned external security pattern lock, but the diameter where the key goes is smaller and the key grooves are shallower, making in more difficult to use the "hammer-a-socket" trick. These in 14x1.5mm (61641N) are 1.50" long, which is borderline. I haven't tried these.

5. Gorilla Guard Locks: These are the locks referenced by ChrisTX in this thread. These are external security pattern lug nuts protected by a free-spinning sleeve to prevent the "hammer-a-socket" trick. In 14x1.5mm (61641) these are 1.60" long, which is long enough to ensure a good seat on the cone face. My measurements of these with my calipers are a length of 1.594" and can accommodate a stud depth of 1.443".

For reference, the factory Model S lug nuts are 1.608" long, and can accommodate a stud depth of 1.579". I have also measured the stud length that protrudes past the cone seating surface of the factory 19" wheels at approximately 1.350". Thus, any aftermarket lug nut or wheel lock needs to be able to accommodate this stud depth, probably with at least 0.1" of clearance to make sure that elastic deformation of the stud under 129 ft-lbs of torque has room inside the lug nut. Thus I would not use any lug nut or wheel lock that is shallower than about 1.450".

If you're also using aftermarket wheels, then you need to measure your stud protrusion specifically. If your wheels are thinner around the studs than the factory wheels, then the cone seat is closer to the hub/rotor, and therefore the stud protrudes more, requiring a deeper lug nut.

If you want to purchase the Gorilla wheel locks in this thread, you need to be very careful which Gorilla locks you get. Gorilla makes five different wheel lock designs:

1. Original Gorilla Locks: These are external security pattern lug nuts. The standard Acorn style in 14x1.5 mm (71641N) is not recommended for the Model S. These lug nuts are only 1.40" long, which is shorter than the factory lug nuts. This causes the lug nut to seat on the end of the stud rather than apply pressure to the wheel at the cone face. This will cause uneven wheel/rotor forces, possibly causing warping, and can gall the threads at the end of the stud.

If you want to use this style, you can use the Duplex Acorn style in 14x1.5mm (76641N), but they are 2.20" long and will stick out.

2. Gorilla X2 locks: These are external security pattern with two stages, a free-spinning top section and the main bottom section. I have not tried these, but they are longer than the original Gorilla Locks at 1.55". In 14x1.5mm, they are part number 71641X. I may order a set of these to get some measurements to make sure they will clear the stud and seat on the cone face.

3. Gorilla "The System" Locks: These are an entire set of the Original Gorilla Locks where instead of one external security pattern lug nut per wheel, all 5 lug nuts on each wheel use an external security pattern and require the key. These in 14x1.5mm (71643N) have the same problem as the original gorilla locks -- they are too short at 1.40", and as such are not recommended.

4. Gorilla Guard II Locks: These are a slightly redesigned external security pattern lock, but the diameter where the key goes is smaller and the key grooves are shallower, making in more difficult to use the "hammer-a-socket" trick. These in 14x1.5mm (61641N) are 1.50" long, which is borderline. I haven't tried these.

5. Gorilla Guard Locks: These are the locks referenced by ChrisTX in this thread. These are external security pattern lug nuts protected by a free-spinning sleeve to prevent the "hammer-a-socket" trick. In 14x1.5mm (61641) these are 1.60" long, which is long enough to ensure a good seat on the cone face. My measurements of these with my calipers are a length of 1.594" and can accommodate a stud depth of 1.443".

For reference, the factory Model S lug nuts are 1.608" long, and can accommodate a stud depth of 1.579". I have also measured the stud length that protrudes past the cone seating surface of the factory 19" wheels at approximately 1.350". Thus, any aftermarket lug nut or wheel lock needs to be able to accommodate this stud depth, probably with at least 0.1" of clearance to make sure that elastic deformation of the stud under 129 ft-lbs of torque has room inside the lug nut. Thus I would not use any lug nut or wheel lock that is shallower than about 1.450".

If you're also using aftermarket wheels, then you need to measure your stud protrusion specifically. If your wheels are thinner around the studs than the factory wheels, then the cone seat is closer to the hub/rotor, and therefore the stud protrudes more, requiring a deeper lug nut.

So what would you recommend? I saw from another thread that some guys replaced the weak stock lugs with
Gorilla Automotive 61147CX. Are these the right size? I know it's not security lugs.

So what would you recommend? I saw from another thread that some guys replaced the weak stock lugs with Gorilla Automotive 61147CX. Are these the right size? I know it's not security lugs.

I haven't tried those specifically but they will probably work fine. Gorilla lists their length as 1.62" overall, which should be plenty of room for the factory studs on factory wheels.

You can also use the ones I'm using, the McGard 64073 which are 1.635" long.