TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wheel Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Aug 17, 2017.

1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

To all you wheel/rims experts out there...has anybody heard who manufactures the 19" sport wheels for the Model 3?? We've seen a couple of different names on the tires, but what about the rims?? Does anybody know of any matches to them?

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Most likely Tesla works with a supplier to cast them to their specifications. Don't believe it is any specific name-brand wheel company.

Tesla wheels are specific to them and are not something off-the-shelf. The lug pattern is compatible with BMW (at least for the S and X and assumed 3).

3. codex57

codex57 Member

Well, it's probably a name brand wheel company. But it's custom to Tesla and you aren't going to find the same look (or even similar) on the open market.

BBS seems to be the only one who's managed to take their general mass market designs and sell them straight and nearly unchanged to the OEMs (like BMW and Porsche).

4. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

• Informative x 1
  5. A-E

A-E Vendor

Check out TSportline.com for the latest on 19" TST Wheel options for Model 3 or Call Jerel at (310) 854-5454. If you would like to stop by in person and check out our wheel selection for Tesla, we have a display located at Al & Ed's Autosound located at 8500 Santa Monica Blvd. West Hollywood, CA 90069

6. codex57

codex57 Member

Hope the quality is good cuz I'm not a fan of the styling.

And is that thread right about Tesla using Hankook tires? Are they any good? Based on the companies I know that carry them, it doesn't engender a lot of confidence. That said, I went on their website and it says they're the official supplier to the DTM so that's a good sign.

7. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Yeah, in that thread they were talking about Hankook being the "official supplier". But from what we've seen, it looks like Michelin for the 18s and Continental for the 19s, unless they change that for "customer Production cars".

But for the record, Hankook tires are OK. They have a range of tires, like any manufacturer. But they've demonstrated that they at least have the capability to make a good tire (a few years ago, the "Ventus V12" did really well on a Car&Driver tire test). I havent seen a decent low-rolling resistance (LRR) tire from Hankook though. Maybe that's why Tesla decided to go with Michelin and Continental?

• Informative x 1
  8. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

I want 18" wheels on my M3. Would love the 19" sport wheels in an 18" version. TSportline is only offering 19" wheels.

• Like x 1
  9. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

18x8
    5x120 bolt pattern
    42mm offset
    67.1 center bore
    $155

New 18" x 8" Alloy Replacement Wheel for Buick LaCrosse 2014 2015 2016 Rim 4114

[​IMG]

Bonus points for being the OEM wheel of a Buick?

Offset is a hair off, but I doubt you'd notice 2mm. You could always add a 2mm spacer.

• Like x 1
  10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

11. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Nothing concrete. Someone said +40 (FlatSix911 was the first person I think I saw that said this). I think TSportline speculated +40 too. But I havent seen anything more "official"

12. timk225

timk225 Member

Mmmmm.... no, I could use an OEM wheel from some manufacturers, both domestic and foreign, as a substitute on my 3, but not a BUICK wheel.

13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

TSportline doesn't appear to answer the phone, nor calls their customers back. I've left multiple messages to call me back.....with no response.

Too bad, because I love some of their products.

14. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

I think its the Buick owner, who would be ashamed to use a Model 3 Aero Wheel.

15. A-E

A-E Vendor

The phone number provided in the post above is the best number to reach us in regards to Tsportline (310) 854-5454. My name is Jerel and I would be happy to help you in customizing your Tesla. Our hours are 9-6 Monday - Saturday Pacific time.

Thanks again ! :)

16. jmm3

jmm3 Member

17. 355rockit

355rockit Member

When I spoke to the VP of Engineering at the Seaside Tesla Service Center (totally by pure luck) while he was recharging his Model 3, I mentioned that I purchased some Model S rims which I am planning on using with the Model 3. I said "I hope the PCD is the same as the S". He smiled, but made no comment. I didn't want to push the subject since he was being so nice to let me photograph and sit in his car. I am still hoping it is the same.

• Informative x 1