TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wheel Option Speculation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by FaultyWarrior, Apr 4, 2016.

1. FaultyWarrior

FaultyWarrior Member

Given the Model 3 Owner's Club tweeted Elon asking if they'd be production wheels (to which he replied yes); I'm going to guess a lot of people on here like the silver twisted, turbine-like wheels that were on the center prototype car (also seen on the black car in the press photos); anyone dare to speculate if those will be the standard wheels or the optional wheels? Doesn't much matter to me, since unless I can stuff a set of gray turbines off a Model S on (unlikely due to 20" vs 21" with no way to recalibrate wheel speed sensors AFAIK); I'm ordering them regardless of optional vs. standard....unless Tesla adds a 20" version of the Model S turbine wheels to the options list of course! :)

2. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I like these the best. Aerodynamic and good looking. Far superior to the Model S Aero wheels.

[​IMG]

3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

The flat black with those wheels rocked my world.

4. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

To each his own! Those were actually my least favorite. Remind me too much of the ones on the Kia hybrid:

[​IMG]

However, the ones Tesla has shown are much more nicely executed. I just don't dig that style.

Like others, I love the turbine wheels and if I had to pick one of the three from the launch, it would have to be this one:

[​IMG]

5. 1208

1208 Active Member

6. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

:eek:
    1. They look like sw*st*k*s
    2. They turn the wrong way (reverse) on one side of the car

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Do they? Some cars come with left and right wheels so that they turn correctly for aerodynamics... (You just can't rotate them the same way, which is a lot less of an issue on an AWD Tesla.)

8. FaultyWarrior

FaultyWarrior Member

3. They're mostly closed. I initially was really liking those, until I saw pictures on Friday morning showing how little of the brakes you see. bleh - not my style. Reminds me too much of steelies with hubcaps. The turbines are by-far my favorite.

9. Socom

Socom Member

Yeah if I'm going to have big brakes on the car (4 piston brembo, etc) I definitely want the wheel to be transparent enough to be able to see them, plus it lets them cool better during hard braking.

10. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I am going to do one pedal driving.

Cooling is largely irrelevant.

11. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Reminds me of an extra ~3 miles of range at 80 mph with the corresponding increase in efficiency.

Might make the difference between getting to a Supercharger at 4 AM or not getting to a Supercharger at 4 AM one day.

• Funny x 1
  12. FaultyWarrior

FaultyWarrior Member

I think I must be one of the only people who loves Tesla but couldn't care less about range - if it got 50 miles on a charge, I'd be more than happy. My daily commute is 20 miles total, of which almost 1/2 is canceled out by regen braking (uphill one way, down hill the other); all of that is backroads and city, so 40mph max. I care far more about performance, looks, and tech. For long trips I have other vehicles, or if the trip is for business, and I rent some crap on work's dime to avoid putting miles on my own vehicles. I'm seriously not even sure if it's worth putting in a home charger...even using the lame 120v charger, if I plug in every night, I'll be fine...or if I use a home charger, I plug in for a couple of hours once a week.