Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel options for Model S. 21" Grey Turbine Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DougN

Aug 29, 2016
Mukilteo
I am finalizing purchase of my 90D and uncertain of what wheels to by. I really like the look of the 21" Grey Turbine Wheels. My understanding is that there is a slight decrease in range. Any other positives or negatives?

I will frequently be driving this in the snow so snow handling is very important, more so than looks.

Thanks all.

I will frequently be driving this in the snow so snow handling is very important, more so than looks.

don't get the 21" wheels. Have you shopped around for proper 21" snow tires? Not a lot to choose from. The 19" wheels (with proper snow tires) make much more sense for bad weather driving, especially for handling potholes.

If you "like the look", check out the 19" TSportline TST wheels.

I am finalizing purchase of my 90D and uncertain of what wheels to by. I really like the look of the 21" Grey Turbine Wheels. My understanding is that there is a slight decrease in range. Any other positives or negatives?

Thanks all.

The 21" wheels come from Tesla with summer tires on them (despite what the order page may say) and, IMO, cannot be used in snow and ice. As Hank pointed out, there are 21" snow tires available but the selection is limited.

I have the Tesla 21" grey wheels because I love the look. I also have a set of 19" wheels with winter tires that I put on before going north anytime between November and March.

don't get the 21" wheels. Have you shopped around for proper 21" snow tires? Not a lot to choose from. The 19" wheels (with proper snow tires) make much more sense for bad weather driving, especially for handling potholes.

If you "like the look", check out the 19" TSportline TST wheels.

Agree!

But the folks on the left coast love them.....
IMG_0017.JPG

Thanks all.

I have both sets and have done extensive logging comparing both 19" and 21" sets. My wh / mile are actually very slightly better on the 21" wheels. I chalk that up to margin of error but there is certainly no decrease in range. Note, I have the square setup so my rears are 8.5", not 9" like staggered.

The 21" wheels come from Tesla with summer tires on them (despite what the order page may say) and, IMO, cannot be used in snow and ice. As Hank pointed out, there are 21" snow tires available but the selection is limited.

I have the Tesla 21" grey wheels because I love the look. I also have a set of 19" wheels with winter tires that I put on before going north anytime between November and March.

I do this too.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
21" looks great. The problem is, Noisy, Rough Ride, Terrible Tread Wear, Wheels get bent EASILY, Curb Rash, Replacements Impossible to find in rural areas and smaller communities.

I just upgraded to the 19" Cyclones and had them painted the same color as my 21" wheels. Much better ride, easy to find tires, less expensive tires, LOT better tread wear, All Season Tires, Need a replacement quick, just about everyone will have a 19" tire in stock. The 19" Cyclone Wheels look just a great as my 21" did. And, lower WH per mile energy used.