Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Oscillation in 3mph traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nicola_Won

We're on the cusp of an energy revolution.
Jun 20, 2009
Richmond, London
Hi all,

This morning we had a very strange experience. We were on a road with traffic and moving anywhere between standstill and 5mph. As we started moving, the car started bouncing as if the front wheels were buckled or a wheel was falling off. It was significant to the point we were seriously considering pulling to the side. Then the road surface changed to a smoother road and the oscillation stopped.

I've never experienced this before in a car especially at low speeds. What are your thoughts? I don't know if I'll have a chance to test it as the road is usually quite free flowing.

I drive over this road all the time and it's not a problem at speed.

The road in question is here: (Northbound)

Google Maps

Hi all,

This morning we had a very strange experience. We were on a road with traffic and moving anywhere between standstill and 5mph. As we started moving, the car started bouncing as if the front wheels were buckled or a wheel was falling off. It was significant to the point we were seriously considering pulling to the side. Then the road surface changed to a smoother road and the oscillation stopped.

I've never experienced this before in a car especially at low speeds. What are your thoughts? I don't know if I'll have a chance to test it as the road is usually quite free flowing.

I drive over this road all the time and it's not a problem at speed.

The road in question is here: (Northbound)

Google Maps
Any chance this was lane-departure warning (for which you'd have had to be going a little faster)? Or was the feedback very different?

There is a road near my house where I feel the same thing. It is the road. When you go quickly it feels differently but when you're going slowly you feel every rolling depression and hill. I wouldn't worry about it but you can always have your SC check it out just be sure.

The lane departure vibrates the steering wheel. I was in the pax seat, wife driving and we both noticed how the car felt like wheel was wobbling off. It was fine on the other surface at slow speed and it's been fine since. Very odd. Might be just the surface bumps and our unusually sensitive tempermant to try and find something wrong with the tesla...