Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Rash Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BF103BA3-ACBB-464C-A16E-C4738AAC11E7.jpeg
Hi, I’m new here. Was going very slow today exiting a parking garage and bumped the wheel on a curb. The tire went up a bit then back down. Drove to the parking lot and inspected the damage, it appears I’ve got a decently bad rim rash (never had one this deep). My question is, could anyone comment on possible structural integrity loss with the wheel given my photos (I know they’re not great).

I washed the wheel and removed the little free fragments of rim, the actual damage is not touching the tire in any way. The tire itself looks completely fine, no scuffing or visible gouging/rashing.

This is my first experience with low-profile tires, so just looking for some knowledge. Thank you guys.

Wheel integrity is fine. Had a slight rash on mine from a supercharger station. I was able to use the touch up paint to make it less visible.
As long a tire is not losing air it'll be fine to drive.

View attachment 801035Hi, I’m new here. Was going very slow today exiting a parking garage and bumped the wheel on a curb. The tire went up a bit then back down. Drove to the parking lot and inspected the damage, it appears I’ve got a decently bad rim rash (never had one this deep). My question is, could anyone comment on possible structural integrity loss with the wheel given my photos (I know they’re not great).

I washed the wheel and removed the little free fragments of rim, the actual damage is not touching the tire in any way. The tire itself looks completely fine, no scuffing or visible gouging/rashing.

This is my first experience with low-profile tires, so just looking for some knowledge. Thank you guys.

Ouch, sorry about that curb! Check this out if you'd like to touch it up! T Sportline Tesla Wheel Touch Up Paint

Before any touch up painting, You can tap down any raised metal with a small hammer and then fill those gouges with a UV light curing glue. Once set with UV light, it can be easily sanded down to match the contour of the rim and then painted over. Glue can be built up in several coats if needed. Better than using body filler on very small areas. UV curing glue sticks very well to bare metal, while touch up paint does not.

5secGluePen.JPG

wheel looks fine, i would suggest doing a water/soap test to see if there are any cracks or line hair cracks. if that passes the test you should be ok. If you are looking to repair it, you can take it to a wheel repair shop. What they will do is basically machine that part down so its flat and touch it up.