Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel scratches without any tire rash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y for about 2 months and Tesla has already replaced all 4 of why wheels once and a one of the wheels twice. I keep getting scratches and gashes on my wheel, but my tires are 100% fine. Each time i've taken it into Tesla, they've replaced it for free as a defective wheel. It's very clear that the car has not been curbed. Anybody else having this issue? Tesla says it's not a known issue, but I don't really believe that.

I thought it was the car wash at first, but they also said nobody else has had this issue. I stopped going to car wash after a while and continue to get them from normal driving. I suppose it's possible they are just such crappy tires that they do this from normal driving? I've had several cars with black wheels and have never had this issue... but it sure is frustrating!

IMG_0088.jpeg

I would say automated car wash guide rails rubbing against the rims but you said you still get them without using the car wash so I'm not sure. I've noticed that these wheels have multiple (4?) coats of paint. Maybe a defect in the one of the layers that you have causing it to flake off?

They've replaced the wheels for free? I haven't heard of that. And is that actually a gouge or scratch, or just the finish coming off?
Yeap. At this point they've replaced 5 wheels for free. There's zero tire rash on the tire itself and i've told them i've not hit any curbs and such. If the wheels are so poorly made / designed that they just scratch while driving normally on road, then that's just nonsense.

So each time, they've agreed that there's no indication that the tire was impacted from driving and just defective I suppose.

I would say automated car wash guide rails rubbing against the rims but you said you still get them without using the car wash so I'm not sure. I've noticed that these wheels have multiple (4?) coats of paint. Maybe a defect in the one of the layers that you have causing it to flake off?
So I thought the same thing but i've noticed the exact same issue on both side of the car (all 4 wheels.) I went back to the car wash and walked through the machine with them and there's only guide rails on 1 side of the wash, so that's not possible that it would be causing it on the opposite side.

I told the folks at Tesla all of this and they seemed quite confused since there's zero rashing on the tire, but this chipping on the wheel itself. The chipping is also only at the very very top of the wheel... so presumably if you hit an actual curb, it would catch much more than the portion of the wheel that's closest to the tire.

Personally I just think their wheels sit out much too far from the tire and they're made with cheap materials. Tesla claims this isn't a "known issue" but I think most people just assume they're hitting curbs or the carwash is the problem. I've had plenty of cars with black wheels before and never once did I have an issue like that with the carwash (I've used the same wash nearby my house for 10+ wheels with unlimited washes)...

These work great on the 20” Inductions:

That red on black probably looks slick! Surprised they'd actually prevent damage if you hit an actual curb

I have never had curb rash EVER in like 20 years of driving and I notice for whatever reason the Tesla is just crazy easy to curb. I never get that close and I have the NXTGEN mirrors that give me a really clear view when parking.... I have no idea what gives??!! 💁🏻‍♂️