Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Sizes - Practicality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I have just ordered my Model X with the standard 19" wheels as didn't want to shell out the £5.4K for the 22" onxy ones.
I am now looking for a set of black 3rd party rims/tyres and wondered what experience anybody had of 22" on the X and any advice??

Interesting thread. I had a 6 series with 19” staggered 265/245 that skated like Bambi in the wet with the Good Year’s RFT that were on it. Swapped them for 18” CrossClimate’s and it was much better- although it was a bit sloppy.

Recently changed to a P90DL which has 21” staggered Pilot Sport 4’s- I was dreading bone shaking from reports, but it’s actually not bad- probably due to air suspension.

I have driven the car once previously in slush and it was terrible- so I don’t fancy winter in them.

I need a Securicor van to fund my wheel/ tyre choices this month as I”ve just had the 21” wheels powder coated to get rid of curbing, they need new rubber and think I’ll stick with PS4, but I also bought 19” old style Tesla 5 spoke rims with Sottozero tyres on them for winter.
They also need powder coated, 1 tyre is great but others not worth putting back on. Costco has a tyre offer coming up on 4th November which is probably £100 off four Mitchelins- so cheapest premium option is probably a set of Alpin 5’s at £187 a tyre.
I was tempted to put CrossClimate 245/45r19 on or the Bridgestone A0005- but no-one seems to have the CrossClimate in that size (they supposedly exist). I think this thread’s convinced me that I want to stick with separate summer/ winter. Half the reason I was thinking all season was to use the 19’s all year.

Hope you understand how stressful this is for a Scotsman- I think this is the most financially stressed I’ve felt apart from dealing with estate agents!

Summary:-
Powder coat 21’ turbine summers and replace dodgy valve core £250
Look forward to spending £1,000+ on new set of 21” staggered PS4’s next year
Powder coat 19” twin 5 spoke winters £200
New set 245/45r19 Alpin 5’s £650

And while I’m thinking of my re-mortgage I might as well add the £3.5k for extended warranty next year!

Any sympathy from Yorkshiremen or others who understand my agony appreciated!

On a more serious note, has anyone tried Sottozero 3 vs Alpin 5? My other option is just get 3 Sottozero’s and use the one I’ve got. I generally just go for MICHELIN as Costco makes them affordable and they last well. Looked at Nokian but I really don’t want to sacrifice dry/wet too much, snow isn’t that prevalent in Glasgow...

Any sympathy from Yorkshiremen or others who understand my agony appreciated!

Went to a restaurant in York and proprietor's definition of a Yorkshireman to my teenage daughter was "A Yorkshireman is like a generous Scotsman" :)

I generally just go for MICHELIN as Costco makes them affordable and they last well

I've had tyres from Camskill (fitted by my local friendly tyre shop) and been happy with speed of delivery, and price.

Nokian WRA4 on my (MS P90D) winter rims. Was very happy with them last winter. £650 (all 4 corners). Snow is rare here (East Anglia) ... and when it comes doesn't usually stay for many days.