Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Sizes - Practicality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick summary of my thoughts on wheel sizes and practicality as a one month owner of a Model 3 P.

This is just my opinion so please take it as you will. The 20 inch OEM look great and ride fine on good roads, however they deliver quite a "bumpy" ride on anything slightly uneven. Much will depend on what you're used to but my better half moans other than when we are on the smooth stuff. Fair enough, it's a sports set up.

The 20s also seem quite soft and obviously have a small tyre wall; potholes will and do cause problems. We've also had a puncture already where the tyre guy reckons the nail stuck to the soft compound initially and then progressively worked its way in at an angle. This maybe may not be correct but he thought it may be related to the type of tyre.

So the 20s look and handle great but they are not that practical in my opinion. As such we will use them in a limited way over Summer and where we have good recovery contingency.

We have also purchased a set of 18" after market rims and good cross climate tyres. These aren't on yet but they will be soon, to cover over winter and also additional security for a long road trip planned next year in France. We've also purchased a jack, jack plugs etc to facilitate easy switching.

It's a great car but just be sure what you are getting if you go for the Performance with the lovely, albeit slightly impractical wheels!

Just a quick summary of my thoughts on wheel sizes and practicality as a one month owner of a Model 3 P.

This is just my opinion so please take it as you will. The 20 inch OEM look great and ride fine on good roads, however they deliver quite a "bumpy" ride on anything slightly uneven. Much will depend on what you're used to but my better half moans other than when we are on the smooth stuff. Fair enough, it's a sports set up.

The 20s also seem quite soft and obviously have a small tyre wall; potholes will and do cause problems. We've also had a puncture already where the tyre guy reckons the nail stuck to the soft compound initially and then progressively worked its way in at an angle. This maybe may not be correct but he thought it may be related to the type of tyre.

So the 20s look and handle great but they are not that practical in my opinion. As such we will use them in a limited way over Summer and where we have good recovery contingency.

We have also purchased a set of 18" after market rims and good cross climate tyres. These aren't on yet but they will be soon, to cover over winter and also additional security for a long road trip planned next year in France. We've also purchased a jack, jack plugs etc to facilitate easy switching.

It's a great car but just be sure what you are getting if you go for the Performance with the lovely, albeit slightly impractical wheels!

If I had a P+ I would be looking to change the wheels to 18s and store the 20s somewhere incase I wanted to sell the car in the future, the only reason I didn't bother ordering a P+ is because of either getting wheels and the associated hassle of then declaring aftermarket wheels on the insurance which is already expensive enough or having to swap to winter tyres for about £1k in the next months.

can you you post photos of your 20" wheels. which tires are fitted ?

Thank you

can you you post photos of your 20" wheels. which tires are fitted ?

Thank you
Here's a photo of the OEM 20s IMG_20190915_161752.jpg

If I had a P+ I would be looking to change the wheels to 18s and store the 20s somewhere incase I wanted to sell the car in the future, the only reason I didn't bother ordering a P+ is because of either getting wheels and the associated hassle of then declaring aftermarket wheels on the insurance which is already expensive enough or having to swap to winter tyres for about £1k in the next months.
Yes, there is extra cost involved but they do look nice and we will use them periodically. Our insurance change was minimal for the 18s. Fortunately the cost of the car came down quite a few thousands of pounds which is covering a new set of rims, tyres and PPF.

I’ll be doing the exact same thing. The 20” are special indeed but will be in storage when I get some 18” winter wheels with some CrossClimates all season tyres. All I need now is rims that fit over red callipers and don’t need a hub to fit.

I think there is another thread on Winter wheels so any recommendations appreciated.

Apart from initial capital outlay, having Winter and Summer tyres means they are both only used 6 months, and last twice as long, so not so much over the long haul.

Yes fair point assuming that you do enough miles over the period that you intend to keep the car to make it worthwhile.

Yes, there is extra cost involved but they do look nice and we will use them periodically. Our insurance change was minimal for the 18s. Fortunately the cost of the car came down quite a few thousands of pounds which is covering a new set of rims, tyres and PPF.

Fair enough but as my insurance is nearly three times what I'm paying I'm not willing to take any additional costs.

I'll be happy with the 18s, was never a fan of 20s due to the additional outlay long term increased brakes/tyres/replacement costs and would be extremely paranoid about kerning them or any of them braking, that said I seen someone on the US forum have one of his 18s crack replacement cost was $340 .

The perception of the practicality of the 20s has been a source of much confusion for me. I really don't feel any issue - if anything it feels like it rides better than my previous A6 diesel which was thereabouts the same weight.

did you have adaptive suspension in the A6. I also am in the same thought i had a 2018 Audi S4. Standard suspension and never any problems with the 19" rims or suspension. The test drive I had in my local area with the P+ and 20" also actually seemed to be softer than the Audi setup over potholes and rough roads.

her is a photo of my 19" immaculate even when I gave the Audi back. No issues with kerbing or scuffs.

The only difference is the 19" have a thicker wall 245 and Tesla had a 235. So maybe better to have a thicker tyre wall . Someone on the USA section can probably confirm this

A3s4T6Q.jpg

did you have adaptive suspension in the A6. I also am in the same thought i had a 2018 Audi S4. Standard suspension and never any problems with the 19" rims or suspension. The test drive I had in my local area with the P+ and 20" also actually seemed to be softer than the Audi setup over potholes and rough roads.

her is a photo of my 19" immaculate even when I gave the Audi back. No issues with kerbing or scuffs.

The only difference is the 19" have a thicker wall 245 and Tesla had a 235. So maybe better to have a thicker tyre wall . Someone on the USA section can probably confirm this

A3s4T6Q.jpg
No active suspension, just an S-Line A6 with the BITDI engine - that was on 20s, too.

The perception of the practicality of the 20s has been a source of much confusion for me. I really don't feel any issue - if anything it feels like it rides better than my previous A6 diesel which was thereabouts the same weight.
I know what you mean but there are enough posts of broken 20s to concern me, particularly if I'm hundreds of miles from home. A really bad pot hole happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year and you always wonder if you've come through it unscathed. For those occasions I'll feel happier with a set of 18s on. A poor chap in the TOG Facebook group trashed 2 20s on a pothole at a motorway services last week :(

If you are going to get separate wheels and tyres I would advise against cross climates, I ran them for a year on my V60 and they work in the snow ok but not great and on hot days turn to mush if you press on. I had Michelin’s crossclinate +. Then I went for a summer/winter set up, much better, Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 are amazing winter tyres.